GX1 Video Quality issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chris_ONiP, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Chris_ONiP

Chris_ONiP New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    Hi guys, i'm new here and haven't picked up the board "ettiquette" yet so go easy on me lol

I recently purchased a Lumix GX1 with the 14-42mm power zoom kit lens. The still photographs are fantastic as expected, even at night time my shots are clear and with very little noise, but video is an entirely different story!

Even outdoors in daylight my videos are grainy and filled with artifacts, and the low light/indoors videos are absolutely unusable, full of noise and grain, blurry and just plain terrible. My iPhone 4S FAR outperforms it in low light video performance. I know that the kit 14-42mm lens isn't ideal for low light video, but I am certain it should be better than what it is. I have seen GX1 videos on YouTube with the kit 14-42 in low light and they are a million times better than mine.

I am shooting in 1920 x 1080 AVCHD 50i
    I.R res OFF
    I.Dynamic OFF
    Flicker Reduction set to 1/50 (too low?)

I have searched through these forums for some time now and not been able to find an answer to my question. I know the lens is a major factor but even outdoors in good light my video is sub par and definitely not to the same quality as other videos on YouTube.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong or had a similar experience? I love the camera's stills but the video is appauling..
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Sorry, I don't know what might be wrong. I am just a novice with video, but GX1 seems to give pretty excellent results for me. Is it possible to reset the camera settings so that they default to factory settings and see what happens? Have you tried the 720P mode?
    Good luck.
  3. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Can you link us to a sample video of your problem. Maybe we can figure it out from there.
  4. Chris_ONiP

Chris_ONiP New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm at work atm will try and upload a sample later tonight. I haven't tried 720p or a factory reset yet I will try those too cheers
  5. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    I've subscribed to this thread, interested to see the results, haven't recorded any video on my GX1 yet.. I'll try tomorrow and comment if I have the same issues or none.
  6. Chris_ONiP

Chris_ONiP New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    Have tried a factory reset and recording in 720p and MP4 still the same result

Recorded noise in low light

GX1 noise - YouTube
  7. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Just saw the video it looks like you try to shot in very low light.
  9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    to be honest your sample doesn't really tell me anything... that looks to me to be a very dark scene, and one that any camera would struggle with.

I don't own a GX1, and dont know how much control you have over shutter/aperture and ISO you have - but generally with video you should be looking at fixing the shutter speed at 1/50 (1/60 if you are US based) and adjusting aperture and ISO manually to get the best image.

If you are wide open at the highest ISO at 1/50 and the image is still crappy then there is simple not enough light. Either add light or get a faster lens

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think your biggest problem is simply not enough light. It seems that the only light source is the computer monitor? If so the camera is boosting the ISO way up and that will produce noise. Also make sure you have an SD card that can handle HD video. I recommend a class 6 or higher, as high as you can afford. For shooting in that low light, you really need a fast lens.
  11. Chris_ONiP

Chris_ONiP New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    I wasn't aware that you could manually adjust ISO and Aperture while shooting video? I have the aperture set lowest and shutter speed around 1/50. This was shot with normal room lighting. There's an overhead ceiling light, a background light and the monitor. I am using a class 8 SD card. I think i'm just gonna have to buy a faster prime and see if it improves which i'm sure it will, i'm just really disappointed at the kit lens performance. Anyone have any experience with the Leica DG Summilux 25mm?

The main issue I have is that i'm not shooting in darkness, it's normal room lighting. My old JVC handycam handles it fine, as does my iPhone, i'm just surprised how bad the 14-42mm handles it.
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes you can adjust the settings. You might have to be in manual mode? I am not familiar with the GX1 so not sure how you adjust it. Make sure you don't have the exposure compensation set to under-expose.

I really am not seeing the noise you are talking about. Sure there is a tiny bit but nothing that I wouldn't expect from such a low light shot. It does look like it isn't quite in focus however. Of coarse you have the original file and can see it fully.

A faster lens would allow for a lower ISO to be used which should reduce noise. Of coarse nothing replaces having proper lighting. In professional filming/video production they use lots of lights some as bright as 20,000 watts. 650 watt and 1000 watt are commonly used for basic interiors to LOOK like normal interior lighting.
  13. Chris_ONiP

Chris_ONiP New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    I've taken some more outdoors footage in full light and it seems to be okay. I've come to the conclusion you guys are right the lens just isn't made for low light but I still can't explain the night footage on youtube with the same lens that looks good? oh well haha thanks for your help guys

Probably gonna pick up a Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 or an Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm f1.8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I must tell you that videos look ok with my PZ, low light or not. You will have to keep the 25 very stteady even in good light, though