1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 video help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by josh, Sep 1, 2012.

1. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    not sure what the deal is with this but for whatever reason video I've shot with my GX1 won't show up through the memory card on my computer. I can watch it in camera but can't retrieve it or even see it on my computer.

running OSX Lion all updates current

2. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Panasonic handles AVCHD the same as Olympus. If so, those files are in the private/avchd/bdmv/stream folder on the sd card. The file names will be like 00000.mts, 00001.mts etc. If you use mountain lion it treats this directory as a package, so you can double click the private "package" and a list of clips will come up for you to choose to play with Quicktime. Lion doesnt play .mts natively. I use IVI to convert my files. If you use IVI make sure to check MTS Preprocess in the general settings tab. Good luck!

3. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    I don't think Lion (or Mountain Lion) supports AVCHD. I initially used Final Cut Pro (paid app) to view it which was too tedious so I ended up switching to MP4 as the video format so that it more compatible.

There are free viewers like VLC Media Player.app which can also view these natively. There are also tons of free converters (and paid ones) out there also but native playback of AVCHD is not readily supported on the Mac.

4. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I have Mountain Lion running on my Mac Mini. I can state for certain that Mountain Lion will play AVCHD natively with Quicktime, at least the AVCHD from my Olympus EPM1. (I did this myself yesterday.). This only works if you have the full "PRIVATE" folder frim the SD card. You can also import directly into iMovie from the SD card.
    Under Lion I found it was neccessary to convert my AVCHD using IVI in order to edit it. You are correct, VLC is a free progam which will play it back on Lion.

5. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    Ah, yes, you are correct. You can use iMovie (on Lion or Mountain Lion) to import the movie and play it. AVCHD is supported in that application.

It's just not supported at the OS level. (i.e QuickTime Player.app or the Finder won't play it like it does with MP4)

6. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    awesome...thanks guys