1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 users, please chime in

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iso640, Jan 17, 2013.

1. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    So I just received my GX1 camera last night and the gods decided to deliver my Oly 17mm 2.8 lens too (I also received the Minolta 50mm 1.7 lens too, it was a good delivery day). Anyway, I've been playing with the camera (haven't downloaded and/or read the manual yet) but this camera seems to be a very poor performer in low-light.

For the most part, I can't get any usable pics below ISO 3200. I'm able to get photos with my iPhone that I can't get with the GX1 as far as lighting is concerned. Prior to buying this particular model, I researched it, looked at photos on 500px and Flickr (and here) and saw a lot of ISO 160 EXIF data. It's fairly overcast where I am today but when I tried taking a photo of some geese at 160 I got nothing but a black screen back. I've attached two comparison photos (the GX1 obviously has better color and resolution straight from camera but I'm concerned that it needs ISO 3200 to capture the same amount of light my iPhone can).

Is it likely there's something wrong with the camera since I bought it used (KEH) or there are some super secret settings that I don't know about. Any guides or advice on the best settings to use to get the best performance from the GX1? I acknowledge it could be operator error.

Attached Files:

2. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    UK
    Colin B
    Doesn't look to be anything wrong to me - look at the shutter speeds in your comparison. Your iPhone shutter is much slower (1/20th) than the GX1 (1/250th). Match up the shutter speeds and you should be able to shoot at approximately the same ISO.

Having said that, you probably don't want to shoot at 1/20th as you will end up with blur due to camera shake (see the iPhone photo).

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    With that lens you can probably make do with shutter speed of 1/30. That'll likely allow you to lower the ISO.

4. lennyKravic

lennyKravic Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    I don't see problem here. iPhone picture is blurry because of long shutter speed, GX1 is nice sharp because it has quite fast shutter speed. You should be able to capture same scene with ISO800 on 1/50 and get better results in noise. In this light conditions is ISO160 handheld nonsense.

5. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    Playing with the settings a bit more, I'm getting better results. In aperture priority mode, I'm able to achieve decently lit, sharp images down to ISO200 now (sharp images). I must have mucked up my C1 settings somehow because no matter the light, they are consistently darker.

Thanks for the quick replies. If there was a problem, I wanted to make sure I was within KEH's 14-day return policy.

6. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I have set my max iso at 1600. C1,2,3and 4 settings are to to set your own parameters, so you go straight to that setting without having to go through the main menu.

Your pic in the OP I would have been better shot at 1/60th @2.8 and fetched the iso down to 800

also comparing I-phone pics to 16mp, just blow them up to 100% crops then compare

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If things don't seem right, and the settings may be mucked up (by you or previous owner), you should just reset the body and it will default everything back to the factory/new state.

• Like Like x 1