GX1 Touchscreen - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gr6825, Feb 4, 2013.

1. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I am curious whether other GX1 users like the touchscreen function? I was optimistic about the feature when I got my GX1 about a month ago. I like using the touch-to-focus function on my iPhone. However, I ended up turning the touchscreen off, because the base of my thumb kept inadvertently touching the screen and moving the focus point. Then it would be a hassle to reset the focus point to the center (when I was using single point).

So this is mostly just griping I guess, but I wonder whether other GX1 users have had better luck with the touchscreen and/or whether anyone has tips about how to avoid inadvertent touch screen contact.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I use the viewfinder and hence have no need for touch to focus. W/out vfinder, to much camera shake, I personally would pay more for a cam without the useless LCD screen. In fact the only reason I have a GX1 is for use with the lumix 7-14 to avoid purple fringe issues that appear on my OMD.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jcr20190

jcr20190 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2013
    hi, i like to use the touchscreen only when viewing the pics, i found it more easy than using the buttons to move
  4. pikestar

pikestar Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    Thought I'd like the touchscreen but also ended up turning it off.
  5. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I've only had mine for a few days, but I do give it a thumbs up so far.

It's the first touch screen camera (barring iPhone) I've had so there's been a few times I've forgotten to even use it.
  6. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I used it more when reviewing pictures.

I don't ever use it for touch-to-shoot or whatever it's called because I find when I do touch the screen it can induce camera shake.
    I will sometimes use it for placing the single area focus box away from the center but that's about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

YAY !

The GX-1 touchscreen is brilliant in adding extra controls and usability. I disable touch shutter, but use it a lot for AF point selection, deletion, focus check, etc. In my opinion the whole UI and controls affair is among the very best I've used on any cameras, Pro FF DLSRs included.
  8. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Touch Screen and Rear Dial

I use the touch screen but disable touch focus. My real issue with the camera is the rear dial which is almost impossible to turn without pressing it in and inadvertently changing the exposure compensation. I always loved the dial idea on my other cameras but the dial never had two functions, turn and press--bad idea.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm "meh" about the touchscreen. I occasionally use it, but more often than not I don't. Hard to say if that's habit (since most of my shooting happens on a camera without a touchscreen) or because I don't actually prefer to use it ... I will say the GX1 touchscreen is not as good/responsive as the GH2 and it takes some getting used to.

I agree the implementation is bad here, but the idea itself is a good one - on the GH2 it's implementation is much better and it's a valuable tool.
  10. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    IIRC the dial on my GF-1 was quite stiff when I first got it, which led to inadvertent clicks when turning it. It's nice and smooth now though
  11. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I have never used the touch screen, I have the viewfinder so no need for it
  12. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    I use the touch focus frequently, and it works great. I did take some time to practice with the camera but, having done so, the touch screen is quick, accurate, and really helpful. FWIW, I focus on dynamic landscapes (i.e., ocean, mountains, wildlife).
  13. apogee

apogee New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    It's been disabled after the 3rd day of use.
  14. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    I was delighted and relieved when the LVF-2 arrived and allowed me use the GX1 like a rangefinder. I rarely the use the screen for much more than reviewing images or changing/setting configurations.
  15. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I like it. It's good for changing the focus point, for reviewing the pictures, the additional quick menu... It can be a pain though when giving the camera to wife/friend as they always manage to mess something up.
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Nay -- deactivated touch screen.
  17. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Colin B
    I like it. I use it mainly for moving the focus point - I find this is more accurate than focus and recompose when using a single AF point.