1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 to GX7 - what a leap!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by laser8, Feb 27, 2014.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Now this may sound subjective, but I completely understand Panasonic skipping the numbers from 2 to 6. I may not care much about the EVF (yet), but just on the outside, the tilting lcd, the double wheels and the AF/MF switch makes it another machine altogether!

Another thing I did not notice being mentioned too much, but which I found extremely useful, is the WYSIWYG mode in manual - finally! On the GX1 I had to use the aperture/shutter preview, but now it can be enabled right away and kept on all the time (why just in M leaves me clueless).

More - there's the option to raise ISO limit just by turning the front wheel when needed - very very handy. (BTW ISO 3200/6400 look much better!)

I am finding the level of options that can be customized fantastic - as an example, I was not very happy in having the on-screen magnification in manual focus mode on at all times - now it can be turned off and assigned to one of the buttons. I use peaking, and if needed- click - here you have it! Same goes for the ability to recall and remove the histogram and the level assist.

Oh, and the e-shutter is great!

From the limited use so far, I can confirm the low light focusing having vastly improved over the GX1.

I hope to post some pics and real-life experience next week if the weather decides to calm a bit for the weekend.

Some negative notes to balance a bit the post - I liked more the flash on its previous position - it's much harder to tilt now that's in the middle of the body. Another migration that leaves some question marks is the lens mount - now the body feels unbalanced to the left with the 12-35, and unless I find a way to work around it, goodbye one-handed shots, and fast lens changes.

Those are my 2c for now, hope someone may find them helpful.

• Like Like x 4
  2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Glad you liked it!

I've fairly adjusted to the off lens mount, but I haven't used it with heavy lenses yet (I don't own one yet), so I wouldn't know how that handles. And yeah, the flash is such a hassle now to bounce. But otherwise, all good!

3. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    My recollections of the GX1 are from my short ownership of one about a year ago. It was quite a nice camera, but also quite frustrating at the same time. For me, the biggest issues were the low resolution main screen (having come from Nikon bodies with their 1k million pixel 3" screens) which made accurate assessment of whether something was tack sharp in focus a little difficult, and the lack of an EVF. Image wise it wasn't too bad, but not quite as good as I had hoped for.

For me as well, the GX7 is a miniature marvel - crammed full of the latest technology, the latest and greatest M4/3 sensor, and all in a small beautifully crafted magnesium alloy body, that with a pancake lens, is very easy to slip in a pocket. All in all, with my limited use of the GX7, I'm smitten.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You do have pretty much WYSIWYG in the automated exposure modes. In those modes the camera is always going to show you "good" exposure because that is what it is going to try to give you. No matter what changes in aperture, shutter, or ISO you make in A, S, or P modes the exposure system in going to "compensate" and show you the "good" image in the EVF or the LCD monitor.

The "clue" that this is what is going on is the meter readout at the bottom, it will always be centered indicating "good" exposure.

In the Manual exposure modes, changes you make are reflected by changes in the image and by the "bars" to the left or right of center of the meter readout (providing you have CONSTANT PREVUE set to ON).

I'm still using a GX1 as my "carry around" compact camera but as prices come down I look to nab a GX7 before too much longer.

5. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    One more thing, the diopter seems to pose problems for some people. But otherwise, great camera :D

6. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I love the MF assist, being able to squeeze, get Auto focus, then twiddle to dial in the exact point you want sharp then bang, its just so easy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yep, love mine too, glad you are on board!

I agree that it is more a two-handed machine, but heavy lenses deserve that approach anyway. I come from DSLR land, so two handed handling is natural for me anyway.

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Yes, I had a GX1 for years and I agree, but as you said, it is "pretty much". Now you have it fully. BTW I used the AE lock to at least have this parameter fixed when reframing.

I noted that - I have good eyes but have the slider almost completely to the right (do not know what that means).

I think I found a workaround for that, but let me try it for few days before I share it :)

One thing people may find useful, if coming from previous Panasonic bodies: the image numbering starts from scratch so it may mess folders where you keep older and newer pictures. I found this useful link where it is explained how to trick the camera in setting the file number to continue where I left with the GX1:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/panasonic/24-fileno.html