GX1 to GX7 - owners perspective appreciated

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by laser8, Feb 12, 2014.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Hi

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading body from the GX1 to the GX7. The advantages of 1/8000 SS, movie and FP are clear to me, but would like to hear from people that used both of them what they think about the sensor itself - is there a noticeable improvement at low ISOs? Anything else I missed out, and I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Yes, the new sensor has better dynamic range at both high and low ISOs. At base ISO you would see 2 stops more DR, and at ISO 6400 you should see 3. Also noise is lower (about a half stop difference).

Other than the extra bit of bulk, the GX7 is an improvement in virtually every way over the GX1.

3. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    As it should be! They skipped 5 other versions! :tongue:

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The GX7 is the almost perfect camera for me. I think you will find it be better than the GX1. I like to shoot mine completely manually. It works wonderfully with adapted lens. Manual focus is accurate and quick utilizing focus peaking. The 2 axis IBIS has performed well for me. The EVF is great once adjusted to match the LCD. I don't think you would be disappointed. I would however look at one first. There are a few people who found that they do not like the GX7.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I ditched my GX1 in favor of the GX7 the moment it came out. And I cannot imagine ever coming back. Everything (except for the ISO control, I prefer the old one..) is an upgrade, from the sensor to the features. There are just some menu quirks that are new and sometimes I feel the old ones are better implemented but they are no deal breakers.

6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Thanks! Ordered the GX7 - will see if it meets the expectations!

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. Congrats!

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    OK, I received it today. First impressions comparing it to the GX1 - heavier, nicer grip, the right lug very close to poking my palm (I have big hands). It also seems a bit disbalanced due to the mount being completely to the left (with 12-35 on). I'll post a comparison for all of those who like me can't handle one in person in few days when I get to know it a little bit better - I hope I'll be able to quickly set it up properly as it seems similar to the GX1 in may aspects.

9. steeltoe

steeltoe New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    I got a GX7 about a month and a half ago and I am really pleased with it, it has become my dayily companion. It is slightly bulky to carry under a coat, but it can be done, with the fixed 20 mm f1:7 kit lens it has a lot of capacity, works great for street photo and ppl do not really notice me using it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.