1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX1 to GX7 - owners perspective appreciated

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by laser8, Feb 12, 2014.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Hi

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading body from the GX1 to the GX7. The advantages of 1/8000 SS, movie and FP are clear to me, but would like to hear from people that used both of them what they think about the sensor itself - is there a noticeable improvement at low ISOs? Anything else I missed out, and I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Yes, the new sensor has better dynamic range at both high and low ISOs. At base ISO you would see 2 stops more DR, and at ISO 6400 you should see 3. Also noise is lower (about a half stop difference).

Other than the extra bit of bulk, the GX7 is an improvement in virtually every way over the GX1.

3. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    As it should be! They skipped 5 other versions! :tongue:

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The GX7 is the almost perfect camera for me. I think you will find it be better than the GX1. I like to shoot mine completely manually. It works wonderfully with adapted lens. Manual focus is accurate and quick utilizing focus peaking. The 2 axis IBIS has performed well for me. The EVF is great once adjusted to match the LCD. I don't think you would be disappointed. I would however look at one first. There are a few people who found that they do not like the GX7.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I ditched my GX1 in favor of the GX7 the moment it came out. And I cannot imagine ever coming back. Everything (except for the ISO control, I prefer the old one..) is an upgrade, from the sensor to the features. There are just some menu quirks that are new and sometimes I feel the old ones are better implemented but they are no deal breakers.

6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Thanks! Ordered the GX7 - will see if it meets the expectations!

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. Congrats!

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    OK, I received it today. First impressions comparing it to the GX1 - heavier, nicer grip, the right lug very close to poking my palm (I have big hands). It also seems a bit disbalanced due to the mount being completely to the left (with 12-35 on). I'll post a comparison for all of those who like me can't handle one in person in few days when I get to know it a little bit better - I hope I'll be able to quickly set it up properly as it seems similar to the GX1 in may aspects.

9. steeltoe

steeltoe New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    I got a GX7 about a month and a half ago and I am really pleased with it, it has become my dayily companion. It is slightly bulky to carry under a coat, but it can be done, with the fixed 20 mm f1:7 kit lens it has a lot of capacity, works great for street photo and ppl do not really notice me using it.