GX1 tap to focus setting

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by audiohawk, Mar 9, 2012.

1. audiohawk

audiohawk New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2012
    Hi everyone

I am a new GX1 owner and need some help

When I first began using the camera I was able to touch to focus on the screen (one touch) then press the shutter to take the picture. All great.

Now whenever I touch the screen I am merely moving a cursor or area that has to be focused on, but the actually focusing does not happen until the shutter is halfway down.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I already tried resetting the camera to factory setting and it didn't work

2. audiohawk

audiohawk New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2012
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHQGdXZaIAg]Panasonic Lumix GF2: Focus in One Touch - YouTube[/ame]

okay I realise this is a GF2, and is also a Japanese advert, but the ideal setting I'm looking for is this kind of touch to focus action but without it taking the picture automatically

3. cakkarudie

cakkarudie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    since you mention it I realised im having the same problem too, clearly remember i could do it when i got a set less than a month ago. Not that i need or been using it, good to know its there. Been looking online with no luck. Lets hope some seniors here can assist.

cheers

4. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    There's different focus settings for the GF1 at least, I imagine it's replicated in all of them.
    It's AF-S (standard "do the focusing on shutter click or half press), AF-C (Constantly adjust focus according to spot/box/face setting), and M (Manual). Maybe set it to AF-S?

Acer

5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    ...this is called direct focus area ( which is different than the touch screen to focus which is what you originally mentioned. I'm pretty sure there is an option for the touchscreen focus in the menus. The other one (direct focus area) is again in the menus, under direct focus area I think.....I actually turned this off because I was always accidentally pressing the screen when getting the camera out and then it would focus where the 'square' was. It is in the online manual I think. Hope this helps.
    JohnyT

6. cakkarudie

cakkarudie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Johny, tried playing with that and still dont seems to work. Thanks for the help anyway. hopefully Audiohawk made some progress and update.

cheers

7. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    I had the same problem over the weekend. I couldn't figure out what setting I changed that caused the touch to focus to stop working. In order to regain touch to focus I had to reset the camera back to factory settings using the Reset option in the Setup menu. I realise you tried resetting your camera; but, that is what fixed it for me.

It would be really nice to know what setting (other than the "Touch Settings" options) disables the touch to focus functionality though in case I encounter the issue again.

Joe

8. Squidz

Squidz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Red Deer, Alberta
    In the main menus, go to the 'C' wrench, go to page 6, there is a menu called TOUCH SETTINGS, going into there see if the TOUCH AF is turned off.

Hopefully this will help, then again, maybe not.

9. cakkarudie

cakkarudie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Yup, tried that too and it did'nt work. I maybe wrong, but i think this happen after i did the version 1.1 firmware upgrade.

thanks anyway.

10. Squidz

Squidz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Red Deer, Alberta
    I did notice, actually, that my camera focuses when I touch the screen as well (fw 1.1). Could it have something to do with your focus type, ie 1-area, 23-area, face recognition? I notice that it initially sets focus when I change focus are while using the 23-area focus setting.

I'm grasping at straws too, but I do know that it's frustrating when things don't work like they used to/you think they should, haha.

11. audiohawk

audiohawk New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2012
    still having no luck with this unfortunately :/

When I look at the firmware numbers, it says the body is version 1.0 and the lens is version 1.1

Is there a way to roll back the lens version back to 1.0 ? Saying that though I don't know if this would fix the issue.

This seems like a pretty fundamental feature of the camera that has now stopped working

Surely other people are having this issue too but I can't find anything else about this problem anywhere

12. p00h

p00h New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2012
    The tap-to-focus mode works (in some way) in all focus modes _except_ single area, where tapping will only reposition the focusing area.
    In other modes it alway has some subtle differences, but it does focus on touch; all in all it feels pretty intuitive, though I don't know why it doesn't simply re-focus automatically when changing the focus position in single area mode as well.

13. Texbaz

Texbaz New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    I have owned My GX1 w/14-42 for about a month, thought I see what all the m4/3 buzz was about. So far pretty nice for what it is. I used it for about 2 weeks before I decided to purchase the 14-45 and updated the camera firmware to 1.1.

During the first 2 weeks I could have swore, I could use just the Touch AF feature without using the Touch shutter. Now nothing actuates the Touch AF, other than when I enable Touch Shutter but that focuses and takes a picture. Seems like the Firmware update has disabled that feature. Am I confused about how the Touch AF is suppose operate? Also, thinking about reinstalling the Firmware update? or can I down grade to the version firmware that came with the camera 1.0

I have reset everything back to factory defaults multiple times no change.

14. cakkarudie

cakkarudie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    I suspect as much, its the firmware update. I've learn to live with it (without tap to focus).