1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 stopped working - help!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangerous_Dave, May 28, 2014.

1. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2013
    County Durham, UK
    Dave
    Hi there. I recently attempted to update the firmware of my GX1. Unfortunately, the spare battery in my camera bag, which I had foolishly assumed was fully charged, was infact empty and the firmware update failed. Now when I power on the camera I get a power light but no other response - no LCD menu.:frown:

Is there any way to retrieve the camera from this or is it finished? I have obviously checked the User Guides, but the only reference to factory reset is via the LCD menu, which doesn't really help me as I can't access the LCD menu.

You'd think Panasonic would have put in some sort of failsafe against such a simple mishap...?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    As far as I know, this is something that needs to get sent to Panasonic for a repair now.

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Sorry to hear you have had problems
    Cameras that have become faulty as a result of failed firmware update are commonly referred to as being 'bricked'
    This usually requires service centre repair as previously mentioned
    Regards
    Rob

4. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    Panasonic firmware does not begin the update process unless it detects that the battery is fully charged.Try charging the battery fully (if you haven't already) and then insert another SD card to see if the camera will start up.

5. Dangerous_Dave

May 28, 2013
    County Durham, UK
    Dave
    Thanks for the replies.

Yup, I just recharged it, and it was full in no time. :confused: I suppose it's either a faulty battery (its a genuine Panasonic one!) or the update crashed.

I did as you suggested and the camera is still not working. :frown:

I am amazed that a multinational company can get away with selling cameras that can be rendered useless so easily.

Good job I hung onto my GF2 as backup.

6. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    See if you can get into the service mode menu - these instructions come from the service manual posted in several places:

7. Dangerous_Dave

May 28, 2013
    County Durham, UK
    Dave
    Thanks, that's not working either :frown: Email sent to service centre.

8. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    Hate to hear that. Hopefully they can have it serviced and back to you both quickly and inexpensively.

9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Yeah, bricking a device during firmware updates is unfortunately a common problem across many devices, whether a camera, computer, phone, set-top device, router, etc. You are updating the code that in turn tells the device how to load its update (among other things), which is why you are screwed if the updating process is interrupted.

I think you are right though in thinking that there could be a technical solution, perhaps an additional ROM chip that permanently contains that part of the OS that facilitates updates, but I suspect because these updates are so infrequent, both in the supply from the manufacturer and the numbers of users who actually bother with the updates, the value proposition must not be worth the added production cost to the device in competitive markets. This calculation must be solid as every device with updateable firmware I've ever seen has this weakness.

Hope you get it back soon w/o too much hassle/$.

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Some PC & server motherboards have 'dual bios' where a copy of the firmware is kept in case the 'live' copy goes bad or gets corrupted... protects against this kind of failure.

Also, some motherboards and many Android phones have the capability of loading firmware automatically from USB or SD.
    On Android, that works even if the OS is hosed, but the bootloader (which normally doesn't need to be re-flashed during updates) has to still be intact.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dangerous_Dave

May 28, 2013
    County Durham, UK
    Dave
    Thanks for all the advice.

Here is the quote I received from Panasonic Service Centre.

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £50.00 [I was quoted £40 MAXIMUM in a previous email]
    Parts : £74.00
    p&p : £9.00
    Total : £133.00 exc vat
    vat : £26.60
    Less deposit/payment : -£0.00
    -----------
    Balance req : £159.60
    -----------

Unsurprisingly I told them to dispose of the camera, and bought a replacement for less, on ebay!

12. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Parts? Wonder what that's all about. Oh well, sorry bout that but am glad you were able to find a replacement!

13. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Please excuse my naïveté, but do you have to pay 20% Value Added Tax on everything, including labor?