1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 still worth it to purchase?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by paullgj, Sep 14, 2015.

1. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Hi everyone,

KEH has a GX1 in EX condition for $139.00. I'd use it for back country hiking/fine art/candid photography. I already have the viewfinder LV2 which I use for the LX7. What do I give up in terms of IQ instead of getting a GX7 or a GX8? It's a very big price differential? I'm going to Guatemala in a month, had planned on taking my Nikon D700, but very big and obvious.

Thanks.

Gene

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Definitely less dynamic range than the GX7 - that's the main difference between the two. Maybe a modest difference in low light. I'm happier to accept ISO 3200 on my GX7 than my GX1.

It's still a nice body, though - I really enjoy how it feels, and it pairs very well with the 20mm/1.7, for instance.

I would suggest adding a screen protector, though. The rear monitor on the GX1 has a bad habit of delaminating. That's the only mechanical issue I've known of.

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I also have both a GX1 and a GX7 and agree with Turbofrog -- recently tried my hand at Milky Way shots with both cameras and there was a huge difference in noise where I could accept 3200 on the GX7 but anything above 1600 on the GX1 was awful. OTOH, I've shot in less demanding low-light settings and was happy with my GX1 shots at 3200, though I admit I tend to go for a B&W esthetic in those situations.

Daylight shooting shouldn't be as much of an issue -- check out the GX1 sample image archive to get a good idea of how it performs; $139 is a great price, I'd go for it. My screen has delaminated as well, but only along the beveled edge, do pick up a screen protector.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I'm still using my GX1 from time to time as my small camera set-up, or as a backup body.
    Performance and IQ are fine (OOC JPEG files are not good in my opinion, but RAW files are on pair with my G5). It have a premium feel and my screen never delaminated.
    I use a screen protector since I bought it... second hand (very cheap with 14-42 X PZ).
    $139 looks a good price.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A very good camera with last generation image quality. Slightly worse high ISO, DR and colors than the GX7 IMO, but still very capable. At $139, I don't know how you could beat it. That's what a new small sensor point and shoot costs.

Maybe like comparing your D700 vs the new D610 in image quality. D700 is excellent, but dated. The fact that you haven't rushed to upgrade that makes me think you will be fine with the GX1.

P.S. What lenses did you intend to use with the camera?

6. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    The GX1 is a great little camera. I took mine to Germany last year and was extremely impressed with the results. Yes my GX7 has better low light performance but for an everyday camera it's small and quite. Put one of those body cap lenses on it and you have a very pocketable camera. If you are going to Guatemala I would suggest you take the GX1. If it gets stolen it's not such a financial hit. Make sure you backup often! If you can backup to a cloud all the better.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I use the GX1 and P14 as my small always in my pack camera. Totally worth 139 for a take everywhere camera IMO. The GX7 and 8 are better cameras, but both are significantly bigger as well as more expensive. If you are considering spending more, the GM1 or 5 will have the same image quality as the GX7 in a small package, and I think you can get a new GM1 for less than $400.

8. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Ok, here we go. With film, over 10 yrs ago it was much easier - a small Nikon FM and two primes. Discrete and not very noticeable. Can't say the same did my D700 - heavy, loud, bulky,difficult to carry, but great IQ. I'm shooting for fine art - 11 x 14 display. Sumpango giant kites for Dia de Todos Los Santos, some street scenes from Antigua. And a climb up the Pacaya volcano. If I get the GX1 will use 14-45, 45-200, and 20 mm lenses. Also noticed KEH has a GX7 in LN- for $350. Guatemala is kind of tense, not like taking a trip to rural Kansas. I'm not going to break the bank spending $3000 for a new GX8 and lenses. Just trying to duplicate the functionality of my old FM cameras. FWIW I'll have and LX7 along for backup and some quick shots. I'll wear a biker vest with big pockets - LX7 in one and the GX in another. Would like to avoid the whole backpack or shoulder bag kind of thing. That's just asking for trouble. Again, thanks everyone for responding and I'm open to more suggestions. FWIW I'll probably be shooting a max of ISO 800.

9. tkbslc

Which two primes? I bet there is a close analog in the m4/3 system.

10. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    28 and 50 mm. Sometimes added a 3rd - 135.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. The GX7 is small, but not particularly pocketable (even with the 20), but 2 of your lenses aren't pocketable anyways. The GX7 is a great camera, and it's certainly a good option. The GX1 with the 20 is jacket pocketable (I can put my GX1 and 20 in a Lowe Dashpoint 20 case on my belt). To address your initial question, the GX1 is still a good camera and can deliver great results, I still regularly use mine. Only you can weigh the size/weight/price/IQ factors and decide if the GX7 is a better option. I would also suggest being open to the GM series if you can find one at a price you like, it combines the GX7 image quality in a smaller body than the GX1.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I still have an E-P1 w/17 2.8 in my car. Just keep it under 1600. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Do you already have the 45-200mm? If you don't, both the 45-150mm and the 45-175mm are better optically, and much smaller and lighter, if you don't absolutely need to get to 200mm.

14. tkbslc

You could certainly get a 14mm f2.5 and a 25mm f1.8 for a nice price used. Or go a tiny bit longer with a 30mm f2.8 which sells for like $100 used. 60mm f2.8 is the closest thing we have to a 135mm that is affordable.

If you are trying to travel light, the 12-32mm makes more sense as a kit lens than the bulky 14-45mm.

15. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I've made great highly detailed 11x14 prints from GX1 files. The lens used was a Summicron 50mm f2. Shows the camera can produce quality images as long as you have good glass on it.

16. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Regardless of lens quality the IQ of the GX1 can't match the GX7.

The GX1 with a good short prime makes a great street/people camera if you have the LV2. The GX1 is a good portrait cam with the 45 or 75 too.

17. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I never said it did. Only stated that with a decent lens the GX1 can produce great photos. Stating the obvious is a bit pedantic.

18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have both and I have to say GX7 is a pretty big sensor upgrade. I find colors and textures much more pleasant. High ISO is definitely better as well. GX7 used is a few hundred dollars more, yes, only you know if it's worth the money. The only area GX1 is better is the built-in microphone /sound processing. Oddly enough it is better than GX7 which is a bit tinny though still OK, but still the reason I keep GX1, for concert recordings, even though the actual video quality is stunning on GX7 and miles better than GX1.

19. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I have owned a G3, which is from my understanding about the same as the GX1. Also owned a G5 and now a GX7. I would use the G3 up to 1600 ISO without any problems and I expect the same from the GX1. G5 I would go to 3200, GX7 up to 6400.

Anyhow the reality is the vast majority of shots are done at lower ISO so yes of course the GX1 is still a good camera. Plus it's small and easy to use. A good combination daily lens is the "old" 14-45 kit lens. Best kit lens ever as far as I'm concerned.

Greg.

20. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Don't forget the GX1 and most other Panny bodies at that time would tend to underexpose a bit. Small annoyance to some but easily correctable, might be worth considering during your decision making.

On it's own, for 160 or so I would say go for it especially since you already have the LVF but if you are considering the GX7 as well, for a little under 200usd more it would make sense to go for the newer body, not just in terms of sensor, color and dynamic range but for the ergonomics and balance as well.