1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gx1 self timer , how to get focus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by raymondorock, Aug 5, 2012.

1. raymondorock

raymondorock New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi all. I am new here and I have l question which I hope is applicable to not just myself.

I have a GX 1 and I have been trying to take self portrait with self timer. My problem is that all the focus came out wrong. I am guessing it sets the focus when I press the button which of cause was not where I ended up sitting at the end of the timer period. I imagine there must be a setting to make it set focus at the end of the timer period but I cannot find it. Did I do something else wrong? I thanks you advance.

Ray.

2. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Hmm... I haven't tried this myself, but I would imagine if you turn face detection On it will focus on yours once you're in place ?

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I guess face detection AF is the easy way this time.

In general you could focus on something at the same distance while setting it up with the longer timer; or prefocus (half press) and switch it to manual focus, then when you're ready to press the shutter and take your spot it's all set.

4. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    switch to MF ,Touch focus on something like a hat where you'll stand,hit the AE/af button to get sot focus

5. pikestar

pikestar Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    UK
    +1
    You know where you'll be standing so make sure it's focused at that distance.
    A MASSIVE teddy or the likes might be useful :cool:

6. raymondorock

raymondorock New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2012
    Sorry for the late response. I didn't get email notification for some reasons.

Sounds like I have to pre focus it which is not as straight forward and accurate as having it to set the focus and other auto function when it actually take the picture. My old Cannon does that and I thought most cameras would behaviour similarly on a function as common as self timer. Just wanna to check I am not missing something- Thanks for all of that.