1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 revival

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Aug 23, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The GX1 seems to have experienced a bit of a resurgence as of late. I'm sure the bargain basement prices have helped a lot by getting a bunch more of them in our hands. It's part of the reason I bought one. I also think it's a really nice camera. It's fast, fun, has a well implemented touch screen and I think that Panasonic has done a very good job of addressing complaints about the quality of the JPEG images. I see the GX1 as a bit of an evolution of the same idea that we saw in the E-P3. A maturing and updating of the original idea (in this case the GF1) while managing to retain much of the character of the original that made it so popular. I don't see the GX1 as really a competitor to the E-M5. I think they really appeal for different reasons. In addition, the GX1 can be paired with the PL25 and PL45 for a really dynamite system that IMHO can compete with some pretty good cameras IQ wise (even the E-M5).

I picked up the GX1, PL25 and PL45 (already had the P14) and I am finding it to be he most fun m43 system i have ever used. The fast AF on the PL25, the ability to get close with the PL45 (not to mention absolutely lovely sharpness, rendering and bokeh on both) and a wonderfully small WA in the P14. I am even considering picking up the WA attachment lens to turn the P14 into an 11. The E-M5 is a great camera and its accolades are well deserved but the GX1 is pretty impressive in its own right and its nice to see more folks starting to realize that.

In my own use I am finding that I use the PL45 the most. I am a bit surprised because I went through 2 O45's and never felt comfortable using that lens. I think the additional close focus ability has really made a huge difference for me. Interestingly it's the slightly longer reach of the PL25 and longer close focus distance that make (sometimes) miss the P20. Overall I feel like the PL25 is a better lens. The fast AF and less low light hunting is especially nice and I think the IQ is a bit better all around but there are times when I find myself wishing I had the P20 as well...although not enough to go out and buy one however. Oddly, the thing I don't miss about the P20 is the size. I thought I would but the PL25 (while considerably larger) doesn't feel too big and it balances well on the GX1.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7844549496/" title="Final Few by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7844549496_bbf898f132_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Final Few"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7798827260/" title="Blood by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7798827260_1023c4d29d_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Blood"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7798825264/" title="Death of a Princess by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7798825264_936b202070_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Death of a Princess"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7720742618/" title="Floral by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7720742618_1ebecd4f2e_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Floral"></a>

Having an absolute blast. It's great to have options.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Well put and superb, sharp , colourful shots to follow!

JohnyT

3. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I think 3 factors here :

* some folks got sick and tired of the E-M5 hype and started looking for an alternative
    * the prices have dropped dramatically, making it an incredible value
    * it's a frigging awesome camera !!!

91c0f268cc54ac8c79d2fe0dd0104221_07b.

I, for one, have totally bonded with this camera. It's my first m4/3 body, and I tried 3 others since and sold them back (2 Oly's I hated, 1 other Panny -G3- good but didn't like it half as much as the GX-1). I'm ready to take the plunge with a NEX, but intend to shoot both side by side, NOT to ditch the GX-1.

• Like Like x 4
  4. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Some great shots there, good thread

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice shots - the color of the leaves is stunning and the last photo is particularly well done.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I've been through 10 m43 bodies since I first started with an E-PL1 some time back and each has had something to recommend them but the GX1 has become my favorite (surpassing my G2). I have really come to appreciate what it can do. I also shoot a NEX-C3 and like it quite a bit as well. I see them as very complimentary systems in that the NEX is an absolutely terrific digital back for legacy lenses (something I don't find m43 bodies as well) and the GX1 is a wonderful AF system with some really nice options in native glass.

Value wise I think the GX1 is really tough to beat.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Kevin ...
    I think you forgot to mention the most important factor.. Bhupinder bought GX1 hahaaahahaa :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.
    Anyway jokes apart its a beautiful camera and I love ergonomics .Its Panny's EPL2 actually with slightly better sensor and much better AF.I always favour underdogs and GX1 has been a underdog . It was completly overshadowed by EP3 , has to compete with lower priced own sibling G3 and later on knocked out by media and mass favourite OMD but that doesnt mean its not a good camera. The Panny did a blunder by offering GX1 at higher price thab G3 in first place . IMHO they should have offered this camera exactly at same price so that people could decide if they want form factor or mini DSLR kinda shape.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    That's certainly the reason I bought mine!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL Yes well the GX1 is now BHUPINDER APPROVED!!!

I agree that it was overshadowed by the G3 and the E-M5 (didn't the E-P3 precede it by a good bit?) and it was too expensive at launch given the "bang for the buck" status of the G3. Glad you like it. It really is a nice camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaahaahh...:2thumbs:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I agree, it's a wonderful camera and it's good to see more people getting it. I would agree that is has 99% to do with the price reduction.

If it is indeed true that it was not a big seller before (can we really judge that based on English language internet forums alone?), I think it's curious that EP3 seems to have been more popular at the same price bracket. I guess there's just not as much appetite out there for a premium Panasonic camera body of that style as there is for an Olympus one. I wonder what it will mean for future Panasonic development. I doubt there will be much enthusiasm to make a GX2 anytime soon.

12. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Gorgeous pictures! :thumbup::thumbup:

I've told myself to hold off any new gear until 2013. You are not helping!!

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No, no I'm not helping :eek:

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Unfortunately, you may be right that it sends the wrong signals. But seriously, 300$ more expensive than the G3 without an EVF and tilt screen? It just was never a great value option at MSRP.

I hope Panasonic gets the other possible message..if you're going to charge 800$, we want a camera with a built-in EVF without an extra (expensive) attachment.

15. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I actually got it the moment it became available here in the Philippines, at full price. January 10, 2012 to be exact. I guess I'm the perfect market for the GX1. I didn't care if the G3 was cheaper and had an EVF and a tilt screen, I just didn't like that hump (same reason the OM-D fails for me. It does look sexy and all but everything gets destroyed by that hump). It just wasn't aesthetically pleasing. I almost wanted to wait for the NEX-7 because it's the perfect look that I want, with EVF to boot, but instead chose the m43 system so went for the newest model at the time: GX1.

I wish Panasonic would release something that looks like an L1.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, I bought it when Amazon had the big blowout sale because I always thought it was too speedy. That said, it is a REALLY nice camera and having had a GH2 and E-P3 I can say without a doubt that I prefer the GX1 to either of them.

I do find it curious that the E-P3 was more popular. It's not like the E-P3 was cheaper at launch and the GX1 is a definite step up from the E-P3 in a number of ways.

• Like Like x 1
  17. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Aren't Olympus camera generally more popular compared to Panasonic ones?

18. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    being budget-friendly compared to OMD made me chose the GX1. This is my first m43 body and I love that I can get great quality that can come close to my much-beloved D50. This format also allows me to play around with cheap legacy glasses that I find so much fun!

funny thing is that I bought the GX1 before I started reading more about the format :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    that's normal LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Also, AFAIK, Panasonic never offered any deals with GX1+viewfinder kits like they had with GF1. What was that all about?? if they had made it only a extra 100 or so if you buy it as kit with GX1 I bet a lot of people would consider them at least. I bet no one was buying those viewfinders for 260 so now they brought the prices down to 160. Olympus must be laughing at them as they are still selling the VF2 for 250.
    I guess they thought they could still charge GF1 prices, but the market has changed.