GX1 reviews - thoughts

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am due to receive my GX1+14-42X lens when they become available as a kit in the UK (should be Jan 2012).

I am hoping that by then they have sorted out some of the issues regarding lens IQ by then.

I am a long time GF1 user and love it but have recently traded in some kit and as part of the deal I opted for the GX1 + 14-42X, 45-175X, LVF2, spare battery and case (when available) and feel sure I will be very happy with the GX1 as images I have seen at 1600ISO look very good.

If anyone has written / knows of a good realistic review of the GX1 + the X lenses I would appreciate the link - also any good videos.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I am still confounded by this lens. Yesterday I got some soft shots at 42mm, and then realized (after I returned home) that I had left the OIS on. So this morning I shot a series of images at 42mm of the same, distant subject with OIS on and off, and I couldn't detect any difference! They all looked equally sharp.

For now (unless I forget) I just leave OIS off unless my shutter speeds drop below the hand-holdable range.

But I'm very happy with the camera itself, and the LVF2. I was shooting some images in the bright sunshine with the camera positioned at chest level yesterday, and the tilting viewfinder made for a much more comfortable posture from which to shoot.

David

3. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Ian,

Unlike David (WoodWorks), I don't have the X14-42 lens so I can't really comment on how this lens performs. I also don't shoot video but I did poke around a bit on YouTube and found a couple of video clips from the GX1. Since some of the video footage is wide-angle, I can only assume the X14-42 was used to shoot these. These are courtesy of PanasonicUK .. perhaps you've already seen them:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PPVGc0bL9c]LUMIX GX1 from Panasonic - Sample video in Turkey Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ZjOtuh3mA&feature=relmfu]LUMIX GX1 from Panasonic - Sample video in Turkey Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Arie,

Thanks for this, I have in fact seen these before - I also do not lean toward this camera for video rather a replacement for my GF1.

I have read a few mixed reviews about the 14-42X but hope the recently released software will sort it.

I am sure the GX1 is a real gem though.