GX1 reviews - thoughts

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am due to receive my GX1+14-42X lens when they become available as a kit in the UK (should be Jan 2012).

I am hoping that by then they have sorted out some of the issues regarding lens IQ by then.

I am a long time GF1 user and love it but have recently traded in some kit and as part of the deal I opted for the GX1 + 14-42X, 45-175X, LVF2, spare battery and case (when available) and feel sure I will be very happy with the GX1 as images I have seen at 1600ISO look very good.

If anyone has written / knows of a good realistic review of the GX1 + the X lenses I would appreciate the link - also any good videos.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I am still confounded by this lens. Yesterday I got some soft shots at 42mm, and then realized (after I returned home) that I had left the OIS on. So this morning I shot a series of images at 42mm of the same, distant subject with OIS on and off, and I couldn't detect any difference! They all looked equally sharp.

For now (unless I forget) I just leave OIS off unless my shutter speeds drop below the hand-holdable range.

But I'm very happy with the camera itself, and the LVF2. I was shooting some images in the bright sunshine with the camera positioned at chest level yesterday, and the tilting viewfinder made for a much more comfortable posture from which to shoot.

David

3. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Ian,

Unlike David (WoodWorks), I don't have the X14-42 lens so I can't really comment on how this lens performs. I also don't shoot video but I did poke around a bit on YouTube and found a couple of video clips from the GX1. Since some of the video footage is wide-angle, I can only assume the X14-42 was used to shoot these. These are courtesy of PanasonicUK .. perhaps you've already seen them:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PPVGc0bL9c]LUMIX GX1 from Panasonic - Sample video in Turkey Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ZjOtuh3mA&feature=relmfu]LUMIX GX1 from Panasonic - Sample video in Turkey Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Arie,

Thanks for this, I have in fact seen these before - I also do not lean toward this camera for video rather a replacement for my GF1.

I have read a few mixed reviews about the 14-42X but hope the recently released software will sort it.

I am sure the GX1 is a real gem though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.