GX1 repair?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kadamnation, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    My Panasonic GX1 fell out of my bag in a parking lot today, and it landed right on the corner by the battery cover. That cover won't stay closed now and the camera refuses to turn on, with the corner bend slightly out of shape—It didn't fall very far so I have high hopes that this is repairable, but I don't know where I can go or send it to get fixed.

I'm located in the US in Boston, and got the camera off Amazon about a year ago. Any tips? I love this camera, and want to get it back on its feet if I can :/

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sorry to hear that.
    Panasonic itself has a repair center and there's also independent places like KEH.com. But, considering that a new GX1 currently goes for 199 and even less than that used, I would consider not spending money on its repair and putting it toward a new camera or another GX1. You will probably need to pay shipping costs back and forth to the repair place.

3. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    X2

It's unfortunate that electronics/cameras are so 'disposable' these days, but I agree, hard not to just buy a new one.

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm a similar place with my E-PL2; I dropped it and chipped the the part of the case that holds the battery door closed so now it won't stay closed. It would cost me more to get it repaired than to replace the whole camera with a new one. Luckily thought, the camera is still totally functional otherwise so I just use electric tape to keep the battery door from flapping open, but it is now pretty much unsellable.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I was thinking about suggesting that. Makes battery changes a bit more troublesome I am sure, but still a working cam.

6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I believe OP said that his camera doesn't turn on anymore.

7. kadamnation

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Correct -- Even holding it closed, it won't turn on. Something's out of whack. :(

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sorry to hear that, I had a G3 die from a parking lot drop (neck lanyard snapped in my case). No fun!

I'm with the other posters though... any repair from Panasonic + shipping costs is highly likely to be as much or more than buying a new GX1 body at $199 so I'd be hard pressed to suggest sending it in for repair. If it were a warrantied repair that'd be different but for a drop-damage repair it's going to be out of pocket anyway.

9. Mathom33

Mathom33 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Coming from a DIY in the garage perspective, I would take a Dremel and remove only what is bent so that the door sits flush. Of course precautionary measure should be put into place so that no shavings fall inside the battery bay.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The battery/card cover is only a cover. It doesn't hold the battery or card in place. It doesn't toggle a switch to power down the camera, if it's open. It does nothing more than keep out small creatures.

The important thing to check is that the battery clip isn't broken and holds the battery against the contacts. If it's broken, then it's worth putting a piece of foam/shim between the battery and battery door, tape it in place and see if it turns on. If the power is getting from the battery to the camera and it still doesn't turn on, then there's a real problem with the camera.

11. Uberkul

Uberkul Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Wilseyville, CA
    Brad
    Broken GX1

Your drop may have broken the battery contacts at the curcuit card. The battery is heavy enough to do this damage. I thought I might fix mine after a drop but it didn't take long in the teardown to realize this wasn't happening.:eek:
    This is the battery contact that solders directly to the circuit card. Mine was knocked completely loose and rattled inside.
    20130309-P1000124-L.
    The battery contact sits here between the body cap and lens mount.
    20130309-P1000122-L.
    No easy way to get in there and solder it back together. Best to buy another camera if you determine yours is broken since it WILL NOT fall under the simple repair cost at a repair facility.
    BTW I do have a new spare battery door if anyone needs it.:biggrin:

12. kadamnation

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks to everybody for the helpful information.

I have one final question—most of you are saying "buy a new camera," which I can appreciate, but how can I find out what a repair would cost? The Panasonic people I talked to today seemed to imply they'd only tell me once I already sent my camera in, and couldn't even give me a range... Would it really cost the same as a new camera? How much do repair jobs cost, for anybody who's had a m43 camera repaired?

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    They won't price it until you send it in, because they have no idea what's actually broken or wrong with it.

To put things in perspective, I sent my Canon S95 in because it had a spot on the sensor. They replaced the entire optical assembly (??) and it cost me over $150-185 to repair (can't remember the exact cost). It was at least half of what I paid for the camera new.

I doubt very much you'll get away less than $100 on repair costs, plus shipping costs in there and it just seems unlikely it's going to be appreciably less than the cost of a $199 GX1. Even if there were nothing wrong with the internals, replacing the dented/deformed metal & plastic casing would probably account for that kind of expense.

14. Uberkul

Uberkul Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Wilseyville, CA
    Brad
    I went though this already in this thread. Pluck out what seams useful to you and the costs may have changed since the camera is older now. It didn't take me long to figure out a significant repair would not be cost effective.
    Good luck.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Add to that that a new one will have a fresh start on a warranty for issues that are covered by the warranty.

Welcome to the OP, btw, from Boston! :smile: Very sorry about the camera...these things do happen. :frown:

16. kadamnation

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    In case anybody else finds it useful, I visited Chrysler Camera Repair near B&H on 34th st and 9th ave in NYC, and for $15 they did an overnight estimate on how much a repair would cost. My estimate listed out the following tasks:

• Replace Main Circuit*
    • Repair and Adjust misc. electrical parts
    • General cleaning & lubrication
    • Adjust all functions to specification

That came to $80 in labor, $165 in parts, for over $250 total post-tax. If I'd chosen to proceed my $15 would have gone towards the repair, but at that price, my beloved GX1 was officially totaled. :frown:

*Whoever mentioned the battery breaking the connection with the camera's circuit board, after chatting w/ the tech I think you called it.

17. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Sorry to hear that news.

Buy a new one.