1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gx1 questio

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoheron, Jul 3, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    Considering buying a GX1 as my step into 4/3 world. Would it be best to buy a body and chose a lens to go with it or go with a kit lens?
    What telephoto lens would y'all recommend?

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    It seems like a better deal to go body only since the upcharge for the kit lens is typically more than what it would cost to buy them separately. See what's out there, but if it's much more than $100 more with the 14-42 kit lens then I'd go body-only. There are also kits with the pancake power zoom, but while I haven't tried it myself I hear that lens is less than ideal for purposes other than "being small."

For telephoto I think you'll find the defacto standard recommendation to be the Panny 100-300. But that's real long even at it's shortest (200mm equivalent) so it doesn't suit everybody. I've been pretty happy with the 45-200 as well though some folks aren't keen to it. It really depends on how you'll be using it - if 100-300 will work it looks like the best native telephoto for m4/3 right now.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Depends on the price, and what lens you want, and if you are buying new.

For example, right now Amazon Warehouse Deals has some really good prices on a GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom lens:
    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1X 16 MP Micro 4/3 Compact System Camera with 3-Inch LCD Touch Screen and 14-42mm X Power Zoom Lens (Silver)

They're asking 376 -386, when the body usually goes for $200 and the lens for $250 used. That's the kit I have on my GX1, it is pretty compact.

For a telephoto I went with the 45-150. Good quality and a small size for a decent price. The 45-175 is probably a bit better, but you will pay more.

With those two lenses you have a nice compact kit that covers a wide range. If you want more you could look into prime lenses which are typically better in low light and sharper. The Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, and 25mm are all excellent. As are the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and 45mm. Sigma also makes two good lenses that are affordable, in 19mm and 30mm.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've found the 14-42 PZ to be at least as good as the 14-42 kit lens. For me I found the extra small size to be worth the extra $100 I paid for the kit with it.

As for the 100-300, it is a good lens but more specialized. I find the 45-150 to get more use, unless I'm photographing birds. The 100-300 is a big lens, and will feel even bigger on a GX1 body (I usually use it on my G5).