GX1 Queries

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Jun 29, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hey folks,

I've got a couple of queries in regards to the Panasonic GX1 that I wondered if someone could help me with!

I've previously had an EP1 and EP2 before selling it and currently have an X-Pro 1 and its a cracking camera but the lens lineup isnt there for me yet!

I've been looking at the more current M43 bodies and I know the OMD is the current favourite but I'd probably rather spend money on lenses.

So I've been looking at the EP3 and GX1, but I wondered how good the addon EVF is for the GX1? I've previously had the VF2 on a Pen is it similar?

Also I believe the GX1 sensor is similar to the sensor in both the G3 and OMD, is it ahead of the 12MP sensors in the rest of the Pen lineup?

In addition how does manual focusing work on the G-Series? I always found the EP2 a little frustrating as there were a number of buttons to press to get the zoom to work, how does this work?

Cheers in advance!
  2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Manual focus is very well implemented on the G3 (I assume the GX1 is similar). Single button, spin dial, and hit Ok. The part I absolutely love is the focus range scale that is displayed in MF to show where you are between infinity and minimum. Small detail, but it eliminates the frustration I had with electro-coupled focus ring.
    The G3 sensor is a big improvement over the legacy 12mp sensor used in earlier Mu43 cameras. Low light shooting is much better.
    I recently switched from an Olympus E-PL2 and am very pleased. Still love the Olys and miss the E-PL2, but Panasonic has really impressed me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    The GX1 LVF2 EVF has the same specs as other Panasonic cameras with EVFs, the G1, GH1, G2, and G3. The G10 has an inferior EVF and the GH2 is slightly different. The EVF2 is a great EVF, with more magnification than the VF2. While the Oly VF2 and Panasonic EVFs share the same specs, there is slightly different display technology used, and principally, because it is more magnified, the VF2 may appear sharper to you. I personally think the Panny EVFs are just fine, but you should go to a shop to see in person...everyone sees things just a bit differently.

Like the current G3 and GH2, there is a fast refresh rate on the GX1 LVF2, similar to that on the VF2, so again, in that department, the LVF2 is up to current Panasonic specs. The LVF2 also retains the very wide -4 to +4 diopter correction characteristic of Panasonic. In fact, only under certain circumstances does the new Oly EM5 have a faster refresh rate.

The GX1 and the G3 both have the new 16 MP Panny sensor which itself is a derivative of the GH2 sensor. It is unknown if the Olympus EM5 uses a tweaked version of the same sensor, but it is true to say the Olympus EM5 and the GX1 and G3 all share a 16MP characteristic. The GX1 and G3 sensors are clearly newer generation than the tweaked 12 MP sensor in the EP3 and its derivatives EPL3 and EPM1.

I am not sure what you are getting at with manual focus queston... Manual on any Panasonic with a built in EVF seem to be very tolerable and easy on any Panasonic. If using a native lens (either Oly or Panny in my experience), with the menu is set to enable manual focus function, just a twist of the focus ring brings up the magnified area for manual focus if you are unhappy with what the auto focus has done. With the touch screens on the GX1 and G3, you can just touch the area you wish to focus on...

The G3, while older than the GX1, is a great feature set for a great price, and something you should consider as well. The GX1 certainly has more manual control points, more like the wonderful old GF1, but you should try them in a shop...you may be fine with the way the G3 works.

Full disclosure, I own a GH1 and a GF1, but have spent quite a bit of time with the G3 and GX1 in the shops as I always get the new gear bug, but end up restraining myself...I have been very close to pulling the trigger on each of those cameras, but now am waiting for the new announcements in July and September...there is always something better on the horizon, and truth be known, the GH1 and GF1 do just fine for me most of the time.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I used the GX1 for a couple weeks without the EVF. I knew when I bought the camera it wouldn't be long before I picked up the EVF and I'm sure glad that I did. I notice the framing lines are slightly off from the captured image when reviewed, this could be due to the magnification of the EVF or the lens (not sure). It helps tremendously during strong daylight and when focusing my Minolta manual lenses.

In the case of the Minolta lens, the wheel on the back simply needs to be pressed in to increase the magnification of the viewfinder for easier manual focusing (shoot w/o lens on). This is quite helpful for me as I run the panasonic half case and have the LCD and most buttons covered most of the time. I've also turned the AF+MF feature on in the menus to allow for manual adjustments when still in AF mode with my native lenses. Not too many people have commented on this feature, but I've found it quite useful a number of times when I want to focus on something other than what the camera picks up first.

From everything I've seen the GX1 sensor takes much better high ISO shots than the 12mp sensor cameras. 1600 is very usable with no NR, I suspect 3200 is still usable with some NR work in Lightroom.

I'd love an OMD but I was able to buy a second hand GX1 with two prime lenses and the EVF for less than the price of one so I'm very happy with my decision.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I previously had the GF1 with LVF1 and swapped them out for the GX1 with LVF2, in both cases I am very pleased and find them both a very worthy improvement.
    The LVf2 is very similar to that in the G3 so has a fast refresh rate meaning no drag or lag.
    The GX1 does produce better quality images than my old GF1 and it's low light quality is superb - all in all a great combo and well worth the upgrade for me.

These are some photos taken on a trip to India in Mar - the GX1 did me proud!

• Like Like x 2
  6. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    EVF2 is awesome viewfinder, previous EVF1 (for GF1) is not even close, the difference is MASSIVE. Also GX1 is a HUGE improvement over GF1 and E-P1/2/3 12mpix sensor, no comparison. I used to have GF1 so I know the difference.

Just 3 pictures taken with my GX1, all at 3 different locations and 3 different lighting conditions. First one is HDR.