1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Poor WB with Flash?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shepx13, Sep 30, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    It seems like the WB on my GX1 when using flash is really off, leaning heavily towards red when mixed with incandescent lighting. The only way I've found to get a decent WB in that situation is to use the camera in Scene mode, with using Action setting (which doesn't make any sense to me), or to use manual WB set.

Anyone else run into this? And if so, any tips to overcome it?

2. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I use manual WB with flash. Once you figure out some numbers that work for a few situations it is pretty easy. Of course florescent or mixed light is always going to be a pain.

This is another reason I always shoot in Raw.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Are you shooting Auto WB, or the Flash WB preset? built-in flash, hot-shoe flash, or off-camera?

I rarely ever use the flash directly (when I do use one it's bounced off something like a wall/ceiling or Demb Flip-It) so I don't usually have to tweak the WB much. If you're using the on-camera flash pointed directly at the subject then I find the Flash preset for WB works a little better to warm it back up (still not as good as a bounce fill by bending the flash unit backward with my finger though).

If you're already using the preset and it still doesn't work well for you then I'd suggest setting a custom WB. For example I run Auto WB with it set one notch over to Amber and one notch towards Magenta, and I rarely ever need to tweak the WB in post now. I forget who posted that here on the forum but it was a great tip and I've been very happy with WB on all my Panasonic cameras after making that tiny adjustment.

4. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I'm using the built-in flash, and bouncing off the ceilings. I've tried all of the WB presets and wasn't happy with any of them.

I would shoot raw but my wife was wanting me to be able to email the photos immediately via my phone tied to the eyefi card, to others at the event.

Guess I'll try my OMD next time and see how it compares in similar situations. But I should have the fl600 by then which will help tremendously I'm sure.

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    In that case my best suggestion would be to adjust the WB preset until it looks right to you.

The nice thing is if it's a consistent differential (i.e. always a little too red) you can "set and forget" by just adjusting it until it looks good and leave the preset that way. As in my case, where I felt like the Panasonic auto WB was a little cool for my tastes so just a small bump towards amber/magenta works for 90+ % of the shots I take. I used to end up adjusting WB on every shot, now it's really rare for me to touch it at all.

6. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Just throwing it out there - did you update to latest firmware? I can't remember the # off the top of my head, but I do remember there was a firmware update to address white balance issues.

7. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken

I'll check the FW when I get home. I bought it used so it may have already been updated. If not, that would be great if it was fixed. Was it just an issue with the gx1, or all of the Panny bodies?

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You're right, I had completely forgotten about that. Couldn't find the release notes off hand but the DPR announcement here does mention auto WB enhancements in the GX1 firmware:

Panasonic updates firmware for GX1 and 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 Mega OIS: Digital Photography Review

I updated my camera(s) and lenses to the latest firmware shortly after purchase so I don't have a before/after comparison but that may well be a factor if you're running the older firmware.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Another thought ... are your ceilings white, or some other color? The bounced light could be getting a color cast from the ceiling and/or walls. I usually use the sunlight WB preset when using flash, if I don't take a custom WB setting.

10. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    The ceilings were white, so that wasn't an issue.

I just checked the firmware, and it was current, so that wasn't an issue either. So, guess it's just something I need to get used to working with.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I remember a thread on DPReview where Marla was showing her indoor GX1 photos using bounced flash. The skin tones were deathly, but not everyone noticed.
    Shep : what does the "Action" setting make the camera do?

12. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I'm not sure what all the Action scene mode does. I was just trying random scene modes after I saw that none of the preset WB were satisfactory for what I was doing. I'll have to check it out further when I have time this week.

13. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I usually have a hit or miss WB when using built-in flash, bounce or otherwise. I usually use the preset Flash WB then fix it further in LR. I never get a consistent WB (not to mention exposure) when using flash. Although none are so severe that can't be fixed, especially when I shoot raw.