GX1 pics

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holmes375, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    • Like Like x 5
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    So much like the GF1 ... I like ... any news on the specs?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This looks like a continuation of the original GF-1 and GF-2 series. That's not too surprising... On the Olympus end, the E-PL2 became a mix of E-P and E-PL series and the E-P3 became the upgrade to the E-PL2 (not just the E-P2) while the E-PL3 went down a whole new path with a new body form. The original E-P and E-PL division became redundant and could all be put into one line.

Likewise, the GF-3 branched off from the original GF-1 and GF-2 line, and it looks like the GX-1 is picking up as a direct upgrade to the GF-2. The GF-3 was an abandonment of a successful line, so it's not too surprising that Panasonic has picked it up again to allow an upgrade to a popular series.

Is it just me, or does that LCD screen look like a 16:9 aspect like the new PEN models?

PS, the Lumix X pancake with power-zoom and power-focus still looks fugly, uncomfortable, and unwieldly. Just had to point that out. ;)

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Two 'C' modes, two 'Fn' buttons, direct buttons for everything I ever use, on/off switch, textured hand-grip (I never got the GF1 because it just felt slippery)...

If it has the G3 (or GH2) sensor then this is the compact GH2 back-up I've been waiting for :smile:

Curious why you say that? It looks almost identical in terms of form and layout to the GF1, not GF2?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What I mean is that it's not a continuation of the GF-3. :) The GF-2 was an upgrade to the GF-1, but I would hardly call the GF-3 an "upgrade" to either. It's more like a new mini model which should have been named something else... Rather, the GX-1 is what should have been named the GF-3. Since the GF-3 stole the model name though, then it looks like they have to rename the whole line... like Olympus had done with the E-P3, which is an upgrade to the E-PL2 and the E-PL3 is like a new line altogether. I hope I haven't lost everyone yet. ;)

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I like and want that lens.. anxious for when B&H ships it.. late Nov? I have heard.. I like the Pancake style..

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    So who (beside MrDoug) needs a power zoom? (I guess if you don't have an opposing thumb that switch would be handy).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always knew there was something funny about you, Mr. Doug. :rofl:

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, my thoughts exactly. But worse yet, did you notice the little "focus" switch. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get any precision fine focus with with a power-switch!! :eek:

Plus, no switch to turn OIS on or off. It chooses automatically for you, I hear...

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Really ... okay Panasonic, (as it appears), is making smarter cameras with the GX1 ... then turns around and starts dumbing down lenses ... lol ... I guess there is something to say about balance...

G

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    They are replacing their kit zooms. Or trying to slowly. I would reserve any issues on their lenses when the 12-35/35-100 pair come out.

12. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ah I geddit. I just never really saw the GF2 as a GF1 replacement either...

I'm with Mr Doug - I can definitely see the value of the new X mini-zoom. The way I'd use such a lens, the power-focus/zoom wouldn't be a problem... Fast primes for fancy stuff, the 14-42X for when I need something dull and practical to Be There :smile:

I'd love to travel with the GH2 and primes as my main kit, and the GX1 with 14-42X as a spare 'just grab it' backup...

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, you got it Gary!

Here's something off-topic I noticed on the website... I assume this is Japanese? I love how the first comment starts off with OH! MY GOD!! in English, then carries on in Japanese or whatever.

I watch a lot of Japanese anime shows, and I encounter this same thing there as well. Sometimes somebody will blurt out "Oh my God!" in English, then carry on again in Japanese, lol.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Looks like there is a focus assist light, but it looks like it could be blocked by your hand if your using the power zoom switch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I hear you. The GF-2 kind of dumbed down the GF-1... but the GF-3 really went overboard though. :) But then, I'm kinda personal about my hotshoe... I'll shoot anyone who tries to take my hotshoe away from me!
    (then after shooting them I'll post that picture in bad ambient light all over the internet, lol)

But I must admit, holding the GF-2 feels rather nice... it is really solid yet compact, which is the way I like my cameras. :tongue:

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hope it comes with a new EVF, the Pany LVF-1 is horrendous. Low res EVFs hurt my eyes. I really want to know what sensor they're putting in there?

Hopefully they sell it as a body only, I hate collecting kit lenses!

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's quite frustrating to not see more body only availability.

19. -HK-

-HK- Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Finland
    I hope the new EVF will work with GF1