1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 or Oly?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by xdayv, Nov 8, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i've been planning to upgrade my old trusty GF1... with a better high ISO performance body. I was previously thinking on getting Oly body as a 2nd body to my G3. leaning on either EPM1 or EPL3, mainly because of the IBIS.

Now that the GX1 was announced... it's another story. one advantage is similar controls and menu. also they share same battery with G3.

what do you think?

help help... :biggrin:

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    GX1

I have had my GF1 since launch and still get great results and satisfaction from using it.

If the GX1 delivers on expectations and produces better DR and higher quality images at high ISO as well as offering the same quality build or better of my GF1 then I may consider upgrading, I will need to see reviews and evidence though.

The new X series lenses in principle look interesting as well and if they are as stated "premium quality" that is almost on par with the Leica/Panasonic ones but for a lower price then that could be an added advantage. Currently my 20mm is my favourite and shoots 95% of my images but I also have the original metal mount 14-45mm so interesetd to see what the new 14-42 Xlens offers.

I am also interested to see what the new LVF2 produces and if as intimated it is the equivalent of the G3 viewfinder then that will be a big winner.

All in all, if the above are as good as stated and all at a realistic / sensible price point then I will consider updating my GF1 (will keep the 20mm though)!

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Surely if you want better high ISO performance your only option is GX1?

• Like Like x 1
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Are you in America? Don't expect to get your hands on a GX1 until many months from now. This camera will probably be even harder to get than the GH2 when it came out.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not necessarily. A lot of Micro Four-Thirds cameras have significantly better high ISO performance than the GF-1, including all the options offered by the OP (GX-1, E-PM1, and E-PL3). The new generation Olympus cameras and the 16MP Panny cameras are actually quite similar in high ISO performance. Yes, the "numbers" and pixel peeping will show the 16MP Panny sensor to be less noisy... but careful inspection will show that there are sacrifices made to the image to achieve that. The images are nowhere near as artifact free as the noisier but sharper Olympus images. Apply some extra noise reduction to the Oly image, and you easily have the same noise handling capabilities if not better.

But let's not get into those kind of specifics, as that will more than likely start a senseless flame war of one company over another. The point is that ALL of the newer generations cameras which the OP is looking at will provide a similar gap in high ISO performance over what he has. There is no one model which will answer his need just because of that.

The design, features, and functions of the body are much more pertinent to the decision in this case. What puzzles me is why the OP would be considering a GX-1 on the Panasonic side, or an E-PM1 or E-PL3 on the Olympus side, rather than throwing about a GX-1 or an E-P3 which would be more equivalent cameras in terms of build and design.

What that says to me is that the OP is set on the GX-1 for that style of body, but is also considering the Olympus because he would consider the smaller form factor of the light/mini series. But... the OP also said that he was leaning towards the Olys mainly because of IBIS. If that's the case, why not just get an E-P3 which has both the features and functions of the GX-1, as well as the IBIS of the PEN system?

Plus... as Hiep mentions... the E-P3 is actually here! :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    To the OP... if your GF1 still works then time is on your side. Wait for the GX1 reviews. If it's what you want, go for it. Meanwhile, the price of the new Olys will only go down - even if slowly - so if the GX1 doesn't float your boat, you'll get a better deal there. Patience, grasshopper... :)

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I wonder why we always get stuff last ... Even our friendly neighbours up north get stuff way before we do ... eh? :smile:

8. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Maybe because you get them cheaper? In the UK the list price for the GX1 body is £499.99 - and it is 1.6 $ to the £ right now I believe.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, perhaps the poor American dollar is partly to blame.

However, Olympus doesn't seem to have this problem with supply as much as Panasonic does.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I believe you're talking about OOC JPEGs, because in RAW there is no comparison, really. By my standards, the E-P3 produces completely unusable photos at ISO 1600, while the Panasonic G3 (which shares the sensor with the GX1) is good all the way up to ISO 3200. In fact, the G3 is better (in RAW) than the Sony A77.

I've had 3 cameras using the 1st generation 12MP sensor (the E-P1, the G2 and the E-P3) and they all have the same image quality which is very close to the GF1. In my experience, the barely noticeable IQ improvements in the E-P3 over the GF1 are not worth upgrading.

The only thing that I like about Olympus cameras (in terms of image quality, that is; in terms of handling there is a lot to like) is Olympus Viewer. It's a slow, clunky and almost unusable RAW converter which produces the same great color as the Olympus JPEG engine, but allows for better fine tuning of the final result.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Interesting. You're saying the G3 ISO is 2 stops better than the E-P3, that's a mammoth difference.

12. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I was quite surprised myself, because DPReview comparison shots don't show such a drastic difference. However, they shoot their test scenes in good light and with higher shutter speeds. In low light, where high ISO really matters, the image quality of the E-P3 starts to fall apart.

For example, this shot (warning, a huge file) was taken with the G3 at ISO 3200 and pushed 1 stop in Lightroom, so it's more like ISO 6400. There is no way to get similar performance from the E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally, I find the Olympus IBIS far more useful for low light shots over better high ISO with the G3 I previously owned. With low ISO shots I also prefer Olympus image rendering. I'm hoping Olympus releases a camera body with the 16mp sensor, but the way the business is looking, it's starting to look dreary. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Biro, a sound advice. thanks! i can wait forever (or maybe not :biggrin:)

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Unusable at 1600 for the EP3? Harsh words! I suppose if someone is blowing it up into a big photo, it might be unusable. But I didn't find 1600 unusable on the EP3 or my current 12 mp camera, the GF2. I do try to stay under 1600, but IMO, it's still usable.

On the other hand, the GH2 and G3 are about one stop better than the 12 mp cameras, IMO. So the GX1 may be that good as well. Too bad it doesn't have an OLED screen.

As for the Sony A77 ... what a bummer! Had high hopes ...

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Patience is a virtue i guess.

Ned, yes, I also considered the EP3. indeed the smaller form factor of the EPM1 is why i'm considering this over the EP3.

17. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    IBIS doesn't freeze motion. It doesn't matter for stationary subjects, but people, you know, have that nasty tendency to move all the time. Of course, I can always affix them to their places using nails and a glue, but nowadays I prefer to raise the sensitivity of my camera.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not arguing with that, but you posted a sample of a slug moving at a millimeter per hour! :wink:

19. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Its looks are quite deceiving... It was moving much faster than I hoped for :biggrin:

20. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    3200iso is only one stop more than 1600iso, not two...