1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 or NEX-7 which should I keep??

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by eggshen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    So I just picked up a new Nex-7 with kit lens for $650 which is a great price and now I have 2 weeks to decide if I should keep it and sell my GX1 or not.

I will be selling my GX1 (black Gariz half case), LVF2, 20mm, 45-200mm and 14-45mm and hopefully break close to even on the upgrade. Only problem is that I am stuck with no extra lenses for a while.

Do you guys feel that the upgrade is worth the hassle or should I just keep the GX1 and return the Nex-7?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nope.....

IN the absense of any other criteria I would reckon if you cant get satisfactory photos from the GX1 you are unlikely to get better from the NEX 7

The NEX 7 is a fine camera.... but its just another similar camera

just my opinion

K

3. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    I am getting satisfactory photos I just thought the Nex-7 might be a justifiable upgrade at this price. I also like the action on the Nex-7 better. Do you feel that the Nex-7 IQ and AF is not much better then the GX1? Thanks for your opinion it is much appreciated.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Use both systems side by side then decide which you most favor. It's good to branch-out and try different things. It's even better to know that what you have is what will enable you to enhance your creativity.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If that's your entire m4/3 kit then I'd keep the NEX7, IF (and only if), you can get the 55-200 as well. But that's just me.

Gordon

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Mate :smile:
    I think u are the best judge . You have both cameras with u .. Use them and find out which suits u the most . People can tell u only technical differences and as far as skill goes .. U r the best judge urself. My OMD kit cost me USD 1299 with grip and NEX 7 was available for USD 999 .. I didn't prefer it as I knew it won't change anything unless I develop more skills and experiment more . Gear is one part of photography and skill is second n even more important than gear . GX1 is almost close to OMD in performance and I have used GX1 . Having said that .. NEX7 at that price is a good deal. If Sony Len line is enough to cater your needs then go ahead. All modern cameras are great and in 99% cases its a human factor which makes them bad .So make a decision urself :2thumbs:

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green

It's utterly amazing to me that someone who has both cameras in their possession will solicit and then take the advice of a bunch of folks on a forum who have, in almost all cases, only used one or the other camera themselves, and are merely relaying their second-hand opinion about the other (or both) cameras. And in particular, on a forum that is likely to be biased in favor of one of the two cameras is question.

8. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    If AF speed is not critical for you, I'll keep the NEX 7. That's an awesome price you picked up the NEX 7 for, having said that, you probably wouldn't get much for your GX1 considering new bodies are being sold for $199.

9. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    It's a good deal, but were you so disappointed with the GX-1 that you were looking for something to replace it or just looking for a good deal?

Whichever camera system you are going to take the most photos with is the one you should keep regardless of IQ. :thumbup:

10. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your input. Just to clarify I was not in search of this camera just stumbled upon a good deal and thought why not give it a try. I have to 2 weeks where I will definitely be shooting both cameras side by side to see what stands out. The reason why I asked here on the forum is just to get extra input. Some one could have a different POV especially someone who has shot both cameras much longer then the 2 weeks that I will. I am always interested in what people have to say.

So far today I have just been learning the UI and menus. Which at first was a pain but the Sony UI has started to become a bit easier. Not sure how anyone uses a NEX without the 2 dials on the NEX-7.

11. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Sounds like a bit of fun then.

I'd like to know what you decide in 2 weeks.

B

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've owned both. Don't see why anyone else can't chime in though.

first world problem.

Gordon

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly my thoughts:2thumbs: