GX1 or GM1 - which one to keep?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by kstano83, Dec 2, 2014.

1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    A couple of weeks ago I got a great deal on a used GX1 with leather case and two batteries for $250/200€ with 20/1.7 for $200/160€ that both look like brand new. I'm still reading the manual to learn how to use every feature the camera has. I really like how the camera feels in my hands, the controls are fine overall (I try not to be too peaky here now :rolleyes: ).
    Later I thought of getting a zoom lens for the camera so I can sell my hated canon gear. I picked panasonic 12-32 which was $370/300€. When I was just about to order it, I found a nice deal on GM1 for $640/520€ with 5 years warranty so I ordered it thinking I can try it and decide on what body I want to keep. If I choose to keep the GM1 I'd sell the GX1 or return the GM1 and buy the lens only. Doing the math, I could basically get both bodies for the same price.

I received the GM1 today, opened the box and my first reaction was like "oh sh*t, that is tiny" It really feels strange in my hand compared to GX1. On the other side, I first thought I would not like the controls due to much less buttons but I actually find them pretty nice and fast to change with the rear wheel. Especially the touch screen is very nice. It recognizes touches perfectly, while on GX1 I misstouch often for the touchscreen to be resistive.

All I really dislike about the GM1 is the "no-grip" and not being able to change any settings with one hand. The original grip is too expensive and I don't think it would help much. This one might serve me much better I gues.

I should also mention that I would like to get another 4/3 body (bigger with more controls) next year and use the GM1 as a second body.

I don't really know what to do. I'm changing my mind every hour. Any thoughts? :smile:
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    As a 2nd body, I'd pick the GM1.

As an only body, I'd pick the GX1. It's what I've used for a year since getting into Micro Four Thirds, and I like it quite a bit. I've even gotten used to the resistive touch screen, and I find it's a real benefit in Canadian climates where you want to pick focus while wearing gloves...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I like my GX1 a lot, though the better screen, focus-peaking and wifi of the GM1 would be major pluses in my book, as long as you could hold and shoot with it comfortably. If it feels too uncomfortable, save your money for your future bigger body and stick with the GX1.

Focus peaking is really, really great when using manual lenses -- if you don't have or plan to get any manual lenses, then you won't miss it. Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  5. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    I had hard time choosing between those two but I decided to return the GM1. The more I played with it, the more annoying it got to hold. Now I'm thinking of swapping it for an E-PL7 kit which I can get for the same price as the GM1.
  6. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I would keep the GM1. It is a better camera than the GX1, excluding the ergonomics and controls.

Also you have the 20mm, and I reckon the GM1+20mm is probably the most amazing combination of size vs quality that has ever existed in cameras.

And as a second body the GM1 makes better sense. It can be the camera you really do take anywhere. I mean you could literally put the GM1 body in one side of your jacket and the 20mm in the other, and basically forget that the camera is in your jacket.

Might have just persuaded myself to get a GM1??
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Just to be contrarian, I would vote for keeping the GX1 - because it's such a capable, unassuming and beautifully designed small camera. No, it's not as tiny as the GM1, but it's very small, especially with one of Panasonic's superb tiny pancake lenses (I have the 14mm) - and it takes great pictures.

Incidentally my solution to the multiple camera dilemma is to have a larger, and definitely more complex/capable and higher-quality mu-43 body - a GX7, which I love - and then use my GX1 either for a 2nd camera body (to have different primes on each, when I want to have multiple cameras) - or as a smaller but still nicely designed camera.

Actually, most of the Lumix cameras I have....have been thoughtfully designed, seemingly by photographers....for photographers. The GX1, after a flurry of attention on its release years ago, seems to have become underrated and under appreciated. But I love mine.

The best choice for you though....is whatever camera feels best to you - as a tool for creating images.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  9. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    thanks, I like the shot :)

I just returned the GM1, happily using my GX1 now.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tennjed

tennjed New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2014
    Good choice on the GX1. The price of GM1 will likely tumble in the near future, and the day is coming when it will be hard to find a GX1 in good shape.

Twice now (the GF1 and the GX1) Panasonic has been on track to produce the near perfect M4/3 camera, and then abandoned it. Imagine, if instead of the GM1, or the GX7, they had simply added the silent shutter, flip screen, focus peaking, and 2 axis IS to the GX1 and called it the GX2. It would be hard to ask for more.