GX1 or GF6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stefan, Jul 30, 2013.

1. stefan

stefan New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi, i'm looking for my first Micro 4/3 camera and I'm not sure which is better option - GX1 or new GF6?

Until now I have used ordinary digital compact cameras and I would like to upgrade myself :)
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    They are almost the same camera.
    The GF6 has articulate screen and an additional lever, the GX1 has the ability to get LVF2 for shooting in sunny days.
    You will need to make your decision based on price.

Another possibility is getting the G5 it is better then both and does not make you to compromise that much and has a very good price.

Pay attention that I do not count features such as WiFi and NFC they are not that important for a camera.
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
  4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I would go for whatever's cheapest, unless you really need the articulating screen, or have a smartphone and are addicted to sharing pictures of your food/children/dog on instagram, in which case you may find the wi-fi/nfc capabilities of the GF6 revelatory.
  5. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    GX1 with lvf2 is more interesting than GF6.
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I notice no one asked what you want to do with the camera and system. That makes a big difference in the answer.

Do you just want a snapshot camera, like your P&S, but with better image qualify, and maybe the ability to add a lens or two? I'd probably recommend the GF6, unless perhaps you can get the GX-1 for a lower price than the GF.

Are you becoming interested in photography, and want to learn and experiment with exercising more control over exposure, aperture, shutter speed, and other shooting parameters? I think the GX-1 is a better choice, with it's better user interface.

I don't think you'll notice any significant difference in IQ.
  7. stefan

stefan New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2013
    Well, it is little bit of both... :)
    As far as I can see, GX1 is cheaper than GF6 so it looks like better choice...
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm actually surprised that I hadn't noticed until I read your question just how much these two cameras have in common.

Advantages of the GX1:
    • Able to add external EVF
    • Has a flash hot-shoe for external flash
    • Better low-light performance (per DXOMark)
    • Significantly less expensive

Advantages of the GF6:
    • More responsive capacitive touchscreen
    • Tilting LCD
    • Higher resolution LCD (1.04m pixels v. 460k pixels)
    • More Creative Control Modes
    • WiFi and NFC connectivity

Personally, I'd lean toward the GX1 simply based on value unless the tilt screen or WiFi functionality of the GF6 is particularly appealing.