1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 or G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Jul 18, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Now that the G5 has been announced, what should I choose? (Note: will keep G3, I intend to have 2 bodies.)

The GX1 at a very good price seems to be unbeatable. I'm currently leaning towards this, having been familiar with the GF1 handling...

On the other hand, the G5 seems to be a very good upgrade from the G3. And the one big factor that wins me over to the G5 is the built-in viewfinder, and also similar handling with the G3.

Though I might wait for real world reviews of the G5, I might jump ahead for the GX1.

:biggrin:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    They're really very different cameras. Other than the fact that they use the same lenses, and have very similar sensor performance (it would seem), they have little in common.

The G5 has a built-in EVF, a larger grip, and an articulated screen.

The GX-1 has more metal in it's skin, no EVF, a fixed screen.

Do you care one way or the other about those things? Adding a finder to the GX1 will increase the cost substantially. If you really prefer a finder, I don't think you'll be very happy with the GX-1.

OTOH, if you rarely use the finder, maybe you'd prefer the GX-1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get the GX1 personally. It's nice to have a modular style camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This. In addition to the fact that you'd have one EVF body and a bar shaped one. Put a big lens on the G3 and a tiny pancake on the GX1 and you're set.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Since the GX1 is selling at such attractive price now, if I were you, I'd go for it now, and when the G5 price starts coming down, upgrade the G3 to a G5 then... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I agree :)

The G5 would be a good upgrade to the G3, whereas the GX1 is a different animal. It's a little smaller (especially if you don't have the LVF2 attached) and a different style of camera. I think it makes a good complement to my G3 personally.

I will likely replace my G3 eventually with an OM-D, G5, or GH3 - which one will depend on what Panasonic comes out with for the GH3, and what the price points look like for the 3 cameras several months down the line. My take is if you're looking for something as an upgrade to the G3 - then go for a G5. If you're looking for something different, the GX1 is a good deal and an enjoyable camera to use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have long been a fan of the mini DSLR style Panasonics. I absolutely loved my G2 and the GH2 but I recently decided to go minimalist and sold off everything and picked up a GX1. They really are different beasts and it depends on what you want out your camera. The EVF and articulated LCD are awesome and open up some interesting creative options. BUT...I have been very impressed with the way the GX1 handles. It is fast, very comfortable in the hand (perhaps a bit more comfy than my beloved G2 because it's lighter) and is proving to be a great have with you at all times camera.

Consider that the GX1s seem to have dropped in price dramatically and can be had for much less than a G5 will be (when it is available).

• Like Like x 1
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not sure about the "much less" if you take into account the need to purchase the EVF for the GX1...

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I'll consider this path... sounds good hehe.

10. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I have the GX1 and from what I have seen of the G5 I am not tempted. It's too big for my taste. I like the ability to slap the 20mm on the GX1 and carry it in my pocket. I like the flexibility of being able to have the EVF when I want it and not have it when I don't need it.

And, although it's really a minor aesthetic thing that doesn't matter in The Great Scheme Of Things, I think the mini-SLR look is silly. I don't like the look of the G3, GH2, G5 or OM-D. To me, they look like DSLRs that someone shrunk by mistake in the dryer.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Given the way Panasonic's press release is worded, and their track record with US deliveries of new products, the G5 could be an extennnnnnnnnnnnnded wait... :wink:

12. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I'm curious G5's sensor's effects compared to G3. In day-to-day use of course ;)

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    +1 Exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Like everyone said, apples and oranges. Do you want both in your bag? :smile:

Too bad you just missed the GX1 body-only as an amazon deal of day (if you're in US or other areas with the offer).

I'm in the opposite situation, waiting for the G3 price to plunge to replace my G1 and match my GX1.

So what battery does the G5 use? I'm a fan of trying to keep the cameras on the same battery, something that it sounds like Panasonic hasn't really adopted across generations. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

The G5 uses the GH2 battery (larger battery for longer battery life which was one of the G3 complaints).

The G3, GF2 and GX1 I've owned all use the same battery which is part of why I like having them as a dual body setup with the G3 and GX1 and why it was a natural upgrade from GF2 -> G3.

• Like Like x 1
  16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Barring some whizbang successor to my GH2, the G5 looks more and more like my next largish μ43 body. Nice that it shares batteries!

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, I like that feature about the GX1 & G3, it's a big reason I was persuaded to move to the G3 from my GF2, not having to buy all new batteries and all like I would if I'd gotten an OM-D or something instead.

The G5 using the GH2 battery doesn't help me much, but I can't blame them for wanting a bigger capacity battery after all the beatings they took over the G3's short battery life.

18. Peterk81

Peterk81 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2012
    Jloden - How is the battery life on the GX1 compared to the G3?

19. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    My initial impression is the GX1 is better than the G3 for battery life, even with the LVF2 on it. I've only run the battery down a few times, but so far it reminds me of the GF2 more than the G3 in terms of battery life. I just checked reviews and that seems to match with the battery test results for the two cameras.

20. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I agree on everything you said. The biggest I would consider is a G3, but I like my m43 cameras pocketable (that's why I have the E-PM1). The G5 is too big (even bigger than the G3), plus what you said about the "mini-dslr" look. Don't get me wrong, it looks to be a nice camera, but at that look and size I may as well just lug around my Canons.