GX1 or G5 for Xmas

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Hey! just dreaming about a Christmas present for myself. I've had my GF1 for about three years now and it is a wonderful camera (but it could get used more!). I'm lucky enough to own the 14, 20 and 45 mm lenses. However, I understand that there has been a significant improvement in sensor technology since then so I'm thinking of upgrading to the GX1 or the G5.

I'd always assumed that at some point I would go to the GX1 but I think I might appreciate the EVF. Beyond that though, is there much difference?

I'd really like the Oly 75 as well which would be truly wonderful, occassionally, but would not get much use, I guess.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    The G5 has an electronic shutter that is quite.
    If you shot with a tripod the articulate screen is very handy.
    There is a different in sensor but I do not know if it is significant.
    If you are on a budget then you may consider the G3 for 299$. It got the same GX1 sensor and most of the G5 features.
  3. stonebat

stonebat Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    If you are thinking about Oly 75, I suggest Oly m43 body.
  4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm curious - is this just for image stabilization reasons, or something else?
  5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I´ve used my Oly75mm on GF2, GH1 and E-M5, works great on all of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The GX1 is selling at a great price right now, but they will be coming out with the GX2 soon, presumably with the latest sensor.

If you don't mind the DSLR styling and form factor of the G5, I'd go for it because of the built-in EVF, electronic shutter and the improved sensor...

However, as someone else has suggested, why not consider one of the Olympus camera bodies?
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    if you are looking at GX1, take a look at G3.

They both have the same sensor, but the G3 has the EVF and the movable screen. I moved from the GF1 when the G3 came out. My first digital camera was the 2002 Nikon 5000. It had the movable screen which I used all the time. When I saw that the G3 had it, as well as a built in EVF, I had to have it. Now that I own it, I love to use this camera. Having used cameras since 1959, I have to say that this is the best one I have owned. I know that they just keep getting better, but I have stopped for now, and just work on getting better with my Nik Software, and taking more photos.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  8. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    quality of the optics and the bokeh - but it's not going to happen. Tbh I could afford it now and even an OM-D at a stretch but I got into m4/3 because it's small and it's cheap - I've kinda set myself a limit of £300 as a reasonable price ceiling for lenses - hence my current collection.
  9. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011

I really like my GF-1, especially the styling - I have quite big hands and it is just about big enough. I recently picked up a GX1 as I passed through the airport and it seemed very small - even though not much smaller than the Gf1 I guess it did seem like a big difference.
  10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Those are the two cameras I presently own. The G5 is a tweaked GH2 sensor with multi-aspect disabled, the GX1 is a tweaked G3 sensor... I find them fairly close in performance with perhaps a narrow edge to the G5.

The main differences:

- longer battery life (uses the larger GH2 battery)
    - bigger, very comfortable grip
    - mushy buttons and control pad
    - articulated screen (seems to be higher resolution also but I'm not sure)
    - new zoom/toggle switch on the top of the camera can control power zoom lenses or defaults to exposure compensation
    - integrated EVF is very crisp and clean
    - electronic shutter option. This is *great* for candids and not disturbing people
    - adds AFF focus option (not really sure how this works as I don't use it)
    - HDR mode available (JPG only)
    - New filters/modes (JPG only)

- add-on viewfinder is good, but a little bulky/boxy on the GX1's tiny rangefinder form
    - loud, crisp shutter (sounds nice to my ear, but not so great for candids)
    - really nice positive 'clicky' buttons; my favorite on any camera I've used to date
    - very small form factor. with a 20mm or 14mm it's just about pocketable
    - much more solid body feel, less plasticky than the G3 or G5
    - built-in flash can be angled up to the ceiling for bounce with your finger; G3/5 is fixed forward-facing only

Both cameras are usable (by my standards) up to about ISO 3200 where the GF2 got ugly after ISO 800, so you'll probably find that a nice improvement over the GF1 in either case. If you wanted a direct replacement for the feel of the GF1 the solid feeling GX1 is probably the way to go. You can also always add the EVF if you want one, which is what I did with mine. If you want something different and the articulated screen and DSLR styling is attractive the G5 is very comfortable ergonomically and has a few nice features like the electronic shutter as well.
    • Like Like x 1