GX1 or G3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Dec 23, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    If you had Gun to your head with 30 seconds to decide, (and the new Dictator of N.Korea was holding the gun..LOL) and you were going to get it FREE so the money factor is not involved.. which one would you pick? :smile: I should also mention if you didn't know the price of each before hand.. EVF factor, Articulating screen etc.. taken into consideration. and also size.... comments please.. kinda of crazy question I understand.. just curious though..

2. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    GX1.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I wanted to like the G3. It's a great concept. GF1-like controls and body, but with an EVF and flip screen; what more could you want? Unfortunately, for me, the grip just never worked right. I also felt that the EVF hump was bigger than needed, while the body was a little thinner than I'd like.

As such, I sold my G3 and ordered a GX1 (and LVF-2.) Between the smaller form, better build quality, and (hopefully) better grip, it may be the right camera for me. If it is, I will be selling off the GH2, leaving just the GF1 and GX1. Had they put the GX1 grip on the G3, I would probably still own it, not the GH2. Funny note: somewhere on here, I posted a quick concept pic of basically that shortly after the G3 came out.

In short, the G3 is great camera - probably the best bang for the buck - but only if the grip works for your hand.

5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ok, the GX1 so far.... but color???... Silver or Black..:rofl:

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Silver!

7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Black.

I don't think the Oly 45 would look good on the silver GX1.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    GX1 - black

9. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    GX1 in black. The form just fits the idea of m43 better (for me it's the easy-to-carry-around camera) and I just can't bring myself to buy a camera that's not black, even though the silver looked really cool when I first saw it.

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    So.. if I get Silver body then the PL25/1.4 which is black would look OK? or Black body with Black lens..? how picky can I get here? :smile: :rofl:

11. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    GX1 Black to black PL25...DONE!.

12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    G3
    The lack of an EVF on the GX1 is a deal breaker for me, and adding one that you have to put on and take off is too inconvenient. Since getting the G3 I have not used my GF1, so I think the same fate would await the GX1.

13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Black GX1 as it fits my hands perfect, and make me a 35mm 1.4 pancake

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

14. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    YES, very good point.. which I have considered as the main sticky point against the GX1... I like the built in EVF on G3.. shessh.. but leaning towards GX1 with optional EVF in Hot Shoe.. with a lock switch.. I would just put it on and leave it on most of the time..

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mr Doug
    If u getting one free then buy one with own money as well 
    Buy both colors .. Black n silver and buy both lenses .. PL25 and Oly 45. Then see which combination suits u the most or u like the most.
    Finally sell the combo u dont like . I will buy one ur Gx1 bodies
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    G3 in black

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Black GX1. G3 just didn't work for me ergonomically. Not so much the grip, but the buttons and layout, and especially the lack of sensor to switch from LCD to EVF.

But for my money the GX1 is a pass as well. If it would have followed the GF1 it maybe would make sense to me, but I'm feeling too little too late from Panny at this point.

18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    G3, as much as I dislike it, I wouldn't want to be without the articulating LCD.

19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Depends on role...

I'm probably going to buy one of these sometime in the next few months as a second m43 body. I generally don't like the evf hump/rear extension and don't use an evf enough to want a permanent one on my primary body. So, if it was my primary body, I'd get the GX1 and buy the separate evf. But as a second body, with the epl3 already well established as the one I'd grab first in most situations, I'll probably buy the G3 instead. It'll probably get used when I want to shoot with a long lens, when I want a second prime available right NOW, when I'm traveling and shooting with the 14-150 and 9-18 interchangeably and want both available instantly, and in more extreme low light situations. The evf won't bother me in those limited situations and will come in handy plenty of the time.

So, I'll probably get the G3. And if I were YOU and planned on also keeping the epl3 as a primary body, I'd probably get the G3. But if I was looking for ONE m43 body, to work with alone, I'd spend the extra money to get the GX1 and the separate evf. This will make NO sense to those who love their permanent evf's, but I'm not one of them. Oh, and as for grip, they look like virtually the same shape to me, which David (soundimageplus) confirmed, saying the gx1 was slightly softer, but about the same shape. IIRC, he didn't love it on the G3 and didn't like it much better on the GX1. So I wouldn't obsess over that, personally.

-Ray

20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    A pro who steered me towards the g3 and M4/3 said this when I asked about the gx1:
    PS: we love our silver body. Black looks too plain.

• Like Like x 1