1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 or E-PL5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chaliween, Dec 31, 2012.

1. chaliween

chaliween New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I have a GX1 with the kit lens. What are your opinions on trading it in for the E-PL5?

2. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not a huge step up, but it depends if you are spending more than, say $100 difference.

Personally, having just moved into u43 from Classic 4/3rds, I kinda regret not just going for a used or refurb OM-D (I went cheap with E-PM2, but now I bought the VF-3....)

I might even say you may find the handling worse on the E-PL5 than your GX1....Reason I say this is my 4-way + rotating ring is acting up. It's really got a mind of its own...and I miss discrete buttons like my E-620 had.

My vote: just go OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Can you specify a reason for the trade except for GAS.
    The GX1 is a very good camera with better handling then the E-PL5.
    You better spend the approx 300$ that the trade will cost you into lenses.

A fast prime or a tele-zoom will give you more shooting abilities per $, then upgrading your already good body, to a marginally better one.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I agree that it depends on what you hope to gain...

The two biggest upsides to the EPL5 are probably the flip up screen and the improved sensor. The flip up screen is a very big deal to some (I'm one of those - I use it constantly) but a non-issue to others. The sensor in the epl5 is better, but not vastly so - the 16mp sensor in the GX1 was the m43 flagship until the OMD came along and the difference isn't huge. A bit of DR, a bit better in low light, etc, but the difference just isn't that much. There's ibis in the epl5, but not the mind blowing 5-axis ibis found in the OMD. The Oly colors are preferable to some which is a bigger deal in jpeg than if you shoot raw, where its a small to non-existent issue. The ergonomics favor the GX1 for simplicity, the epl5 for customizability, but both are very workable.

So, do those differences matter much to you? Is there some other reason? They're both really fine little bodies. Just depends on what you're hoping to gain because the differences are fairly small. The GX1 is a better value at this point, so you'd probably take a hit on the price, so the reason for the change should be pretty compelling to be worth the difference.

-Ray

5. chaliween

chaliween New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    biggest selling features for me are the flip screen. My friend has the OMD, but i cant justify a purchase like that if i know i could be content with something like the epl5. But when i compare the 2, using the exact same 20mm 1.7, om-d was a lot faster, and images came out a lot less noisy in low light.

i love the gx1 feel of the gx1 though and images quality is great... but i'm trying to justify the 150-200 cost for the articulating screen and upgraded sensor and processor...

great points so far guys... keep em coming.

any first hand comparisons??

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Built in IS.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If it is just the flip screen you can get the G3 body for 250 or the G5 used at BH for 423. This two camera have a better articulate screen and cost much less.
    I just got a used G5 and it came like brand new, with less then 1000 shot count, box and all new documentation/strap.
    I think it was a shop demo unit.
    I think that for only one feature it is not worth changing a body and getting hit with approx 500$.

8. chaliween

chaliween New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    How is the image quality compared to the gx1 or epl5? And I'd only be paying 150-200

9. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    If you can already see a difference comparing the OMD to the GX1 with the same lens on noise, then I'd say you've already answered your question.

On paper, the E-PL5 has a 1/2 stop advantage in noise, and 1.5 stop advantage on dynamic range compared to the GX1.

Colour wise, it's a personal preference. I think the OMD went backwards compared the the PENS, but this was more than compensated by the improvements in noise and DR. But again, if you've seen the OMD against the GX1 you'd already have factored that in.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If the price difference between the GX1 and OMD is 200$ then I would recommend to trade.
    The added functionality that you gain from the EFV and articulate screen plus the low light ability from the ISO increase and IBIS worth this sum.
    If the price difference is as I thought of 500$, then a set of lenses like a P14 plus a tele zoom would make more sense.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    IQ of the G3 is virtually identical to the GX1, just a bit behind the OMD and EPL5 and GH3. The fully articulated screen is arguably more versatile than the flip up screen on the Olympus bodies, but to look up or down at it, it must be flipped out to the side of the camera. Some prefer this approach, others don't - I can't stand it, greatly preferring the simpler Oly approach.

-Ray

12. chaliween

chaliween New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Oh I comparing the gx1 to the epl5. Yes, omd I definitely 500 lol

13. chaliween

chaliween New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    When i first bought the GX1, i was torn between that and the G5. what sold me was the smaller body.

14. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I returned my GX1 for the EPL5. The difference in price was $100, I think. But what that $100 bought me is:

- IBIS (although it's hardly mind blowing)
    - adjustable LCD
    - slightly better sensor (supposedly)
    - better kit lens (although I only used it once to see that it works)
    - free Wifi card (altho I already have an eye-Fi card)
    - better (?) special effects / art filters
    - more fps

All of these added up to not very much for me personally. The reason I got rid of the GX1 was that its WB indoors with flash was way too warm. A nice member of the dpreview forum told me I should manually set the WB to outdoors (it think it was) in order to get decent (cooler temp) photos indoors with flash. While that did work, I thought that would become annoying over time. So I tried the EPL5 instead and it works fine.

I'm not that offended by the need to do some post processing. But I like taking pics in raw format + small jpeg because I use my eye-Fi card to throw the jpegs onto my phone for easy emailing when I'm out and about (especially when I'm traveling abroad). So, I didn't want to be burdened with needing to remember to shift WB to sunshine/outdoor whenever I use a flash to get a decent picture to email.

Anyway, that's my story. And I'm sticking to it :)

Good luck with your decision.

Will

15. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I have the E-PL5 and love it. I also happen to have possession of a G3 this week. It has the same sensor as the GX1. I believe it is similar in size to the GX1.

Be prepared: the E-PL5 is tiny compared to the Panasonic G3. The buttons are much smaller and more closely placed. The LCD is in the 16/9 shape and displays 4/3 format images in the center with large black bars on each side. My daughters E-PL1 display is functionally larger than mine! If you have not handled the E-PL5 yet, make sure you have an exit to get back to the GX1. IQ is better on the newer Olympus cameras, but the GX-1 is no slacker.

Try this site for comparison: camerasize.com

Lee

16. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I think for $100 that is a fair trade up despite the handling shortcomings the EPL5 has compared to the GX1.

Personally, I have a GX1 and the only camera I would trade up would be the OMD. I looked at the EPL5s before purchasing the GX1, but the used prices for GX1 (body-only $300) made it tough to pass up.

17. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Just to share the following write-up which I posted in other forum:

I have Panasonic G3 first (in between also owned GF2 and GF5) and very recently E-PM2.

I would think that Panasonic is more user-friendly than Olympus, but after getting used to, I'm fine with both.

Although Olympus interface is not so good, it allows many small adjustments to settings (which is great!)

But between both brands, they each have their pros and cons.

Right now, the Olympus has the advantage of the better sensor and the IBIS, allows in-camera RAW editing and better out-of-camera jpegs (subjective also.)
    Hence, I would pick an Olympus with the better sensor than a Panasonic.
    Panasonic produces many superior lenses though!

As for Olympus, I picked E-PM2 for the following reasons:

1. It uses the same sensor as OMD E-M5.
    2. It is the lightest and smallest amongst those with newer, better sensor (i.e. E-M5 & E-PL5.)
    3. It does not use an AA filter.
    4. It is officially and fully compatible with Toshiba FlashAir SD card (with dedicated smartphone app.)
    5. It is cheaper than E-PL5 and E-M5.
    6. I personally find it more pleasing in terms of handling and ergonomics.

I don't like the shape and handling of E-M5, buttons/dials/knobs seem cramped up, with a protruding top, and overall it also looks super ugly!
    As for the E-PL5, I always accidentally pressed the movie record button, especially when using the tilt-screen for self-portrait.

The only think I hate about the E-PM2 now is the hotshoe flash I need to attach on the body. I would much prefer Panasonic built-in flash.
    Also a bit lacking is the tilt screen found with E-PL5.
    It is good to have but not absolutely necessary.
    It only jacks up cost and makes it bigger and heavier over the E-PM2.

18. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I have the Lumix GF-1 and considered upgrading to the GX-1. But, the upgrade just wasn't that significant to convince me. I recently bought the Olympus E-PL5, and I'm glad I did. Aside from what other have said so far, I really like some of the accessories Olympus offers for its Pens - especially the MAL-1 macro arm light and the wireless off-camera flash capabilities (RC mode) using the pop-up flash as the trigger.