GX1 or E-M5

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by xdayv, Feb 17, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I'm left with one body which is the G3, after I sold the GF1 (regrets?).

Not in a hurry to get another body, I would of course like to wait and see the real world samples and performance of the EM-5.

But initially here's what I see.

+same battery and charger with my G3. better especially for travel.
    +similar controls and menu
    +GF1 feel & looks

+in-body IS, that will make all my current lenses benefit image stabilization
    +built-in viewfinder, I will prefer this vs a hot-shoe mounted accessory
    +OM retro feel & looks

Your thoughts?
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    GX1 seems redundant to me unless size is a main concern, in which case the M5 wouldn't really be an alternative.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Get both and sell the G3!?
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    You've already got a camera that has EVF, so I don't see much advantage to the OM-D there. To me, it seems like a tradeoff between the smaller size of the GX1 vs. the IBIS of the OM-D. What matters more to you?
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unanswerable at this time

Actually, the real answer is "who can tell?" Until we start seeing some real, independent test reports and user reports, all anyone can do is guess about how well the OMD will handle, how good the IBIS, AF, and EVF will be, and how good the sensor is.

And only you can decide how important an EVF is to you, vs. small size.

Patience, grasshopper. All will be revealed in time.
  6. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    What would you get out of the EM5/GX1+VF that you haven't got already by owning a G3?

If you need a second body and you're happy about the G3, I'd just get another one: (relatively) cheap and effective.
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Very good point. But if IBIS is needed then you really have many choices.
  8. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    That's correct, especially considering that none of the poster's lenses is stabilized (according to his segnature).
  9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    U really need to determine whether u need a second body.
    If you can bear with it, then don't buy anything.
    I think it's not because G3 is inadequate for you.
    But it's the temptation of a new camera which is touted the best m43 that enticed you. I would say they did a very good marketing job.
    But realistically, do you think your skills n pictures will quantum leap if you buy the new camera that would satisfy your fantasy?

FYI, I need a second body and will be buying GF2 this week.
  10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been thinking about this very same scenario. GX1 or OMD.

What just popped into my head just now is that I know exactly where everything is on my GF1. What buttons do what ect. And if I went to an OMD i'd have to learn how olympus work their settings. Whereas if I moved to a GX1 it would be pretty much the same as my current GF1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There's also the fun of learning something completely new :daz:.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Sometimes it just get messy when you have 2 different systems and menus on hand. I have been contemplating, but would rather get something i'm familiar with and have the same set of menus between the 2 cameras. This would definitely keep me abreast rather than slow me down when I'm shooting events.
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    this =)

Though, for financial practicality, I'm selling my GF1 soon, and the E-M5 will become primary w/ the g3 as secondary/backup.

Why? The G3 is close to what I need, but the E-M5 is even closer =)
  14. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    With due respect, I believe the OM-D has a couple of features making it worth your while to learn the new adjustments & menus. EVF, two adjustment dials, IBIS. I love my GX1, but I'd be willing to leave it behind for the OM-D in many circumstances.

Plus, on Olympus I understand that the Super Control Panel is the main thing you need to worry about shot to shot, once you've done your general settings.

As Amit says, it's also fun learning a new system. :D
  15. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    What are you buying another body for in the first place?
  16. pmagi

pmagi New to Mu-43

May 5, 2012
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It seems to me the G3 is both small and has comparable IQ to the OMD. The G3 has an EVF, great IQ and some additional niceties like a flip out screen. Also, the GX1 and OMD are really different sorts of beasts. If what you want is an update of the GF1 experience than the GX1 would be it. I also think the G3 and OMD occupy much the same space so if you want to go to the OMD I think I'd sell the G3 as well.

So how's that for non committal?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    If you need two bodies, then get another G3. You can stick say the 14-45 on one, and the 45-200 on the other, and when you pick either up, all the controls will be the same. In my opinion, there is no better camera than the G3.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Thanks guys for your sound advice.

definitely this is the one that makes me consider the GX1. I would prefer to have similar menu and interface. Moreover, similar RAW file signatures.

I always prefer to shoot with 2 bodies.

(still resisting the E-M5)