GX1 on it's way!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by limdoug, Sep 13, 2012.

1. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm sooooo excited to be receiving my GX1 body (used very good from Amazon ~$316) in the next couple of days. I know photokina is right around the corner, but I wanted to get the order in before Amazon starts charging tax for CA customers. I've got a 14mm in hand and a oly 45mm on the way.

Anyhow, I wanted to say this is a great forum and I sure hope to be able to post some pictures some day.

I'm relatively new to the m 4/3 format and photography in general. Any quick newbie tips...besides get out there and shoot?

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Welcome. It's an easy camera to get started with. I began the adventure into photography and this system back in May. Glad I started with the GX1. I'd highly recommend the EVF when you want to shell the money out for it. Helped my composition skills quite a bit.

I posted my settings here: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/gx1-best-camera-settings-tips-30716/

There is quite a bit of other info around the forum. Lots of people using the GX1 now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    congratulations! looking forward to seeing your photos soon :)

tip: buy more hard drive space, you will need it! LOL

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah that's a good tip. Shoot in RAW if you really want to take advantage of the camera. Get a decently fast memory card ~class 10. Frame guidelines and the level helps big time also. Shoot with those two lenses for a while and then pick up the Panasonic 20mm or 25mm for a normal lens and you'll have a great prime trio.

5. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks again for the great tips! I do have a fast SD card (Sandisk extreme) so it should be good to go. I believe the 20mm is a little slow, so I hope to pick up a 25mm once I get better at taking photographs.

6. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I don't know anything about PP so I'm just going to stick with jpegs for now. That's something I'll pick up as my skill level increases - hopefully =).

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Just be extra careful with your exposure and white balance settings; bracket for insurance.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I love my 25mm. Favorite lens for everyday use. Keep in mind you can always shoot RAW+JPEG if you want to learn it later. I dove right into RAW, Lightroom 4 makes it really easy!

9. Nigel13

Nigel13 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Jon
    I also have one on my way. Was looking through a bunch of prints that i made about 5 years ago (with a bunch of dslr gear that i had to sell to fund a divorce and other such) and realized how much i miss having a good camera compared to my old point and shoot and my iphone 3gs. Cant wait to get it from B&H. Im digging the small size and rangefinder looks.

• Like Like x 1