1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GX1 on it's way!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by limdoug, Sep 13, 2012.

1. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm sooooo excited to be receiving my GX1 body (used very good from Amazon ~$316) in the next couple of days. I know photokina is right around the corner, but I wanted to get the order in before Amazon starts charging tax for CA customers. I've got a 14mm in hand and a oly 45mm on the way.

Anyhow, I wanted to say this is a great forum and I sure hope to be able to post some pictures some day.

I'm relatively new to the m 4/3 format and photography in general. Any quick newbie tips...besides get out there and shoot?

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Welcome. It's an easy camera to get started with. I began the adventure into photography and this system back in May. Glad I started with the GX1. I'd highly recommend the EVF when you want to shell the money out for it. Helped my composition skills quite a bit.

I posted my settings here: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/gx1-best-camera-settings-tips-30716/

There is quite a bit of other info around the forum. Lots of people using the GX1 now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    congratulations! looking forward to seeing your photos soon :) 

tip: buy more hard drive space, you will need it! LOL

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah that's a good tip. Shoot in RAW if you really want to take advantage of the camera. Get a decently fast memory card ~class 10. Frame guidelines and the level helps big time also. Shoot with those two lenses for a while and then pick up the Panasonic 20mm or 25mm for a normal lens and you'll have a great prime trio.

5. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks again for the great tips! I do have a fast SD card (Sandisk extreme) so it should be good to go. I believe the 20mm is a little slow, so I hope to pick up a 25mm once I get better at taking photographs.

6. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I don't know anything about PP so I'm just going to stick with jpegs for now. That's something I'll pick up as my skill level increases - hopefully =).

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Just be extra careful with your exposure and white balance settings; bracket for insurance.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I love my 25mm. Favorite lens for everyday use. Keep in mind you can always shoot RAW+JPEG if you want to learn it later. I dove right into RAW, Lightroom 4 makes it really easy!

9. Nigel13

Nigel13 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Jon
    I also have one on my way. Was looking through a bunch of prints that i made about 5 years ago (with a bunch of dslr gear that i had to sell to fund a divorce and other such) and realized how much i miss having a good camera compared to my old point and shoot and my iphone 3gs. Cant wait to get it from B&H. Im digging the small size and rangefinder looks.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.