1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Night scenery

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Gepito, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Gepito

Gepito New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    Ive got a lumix GX1 14-42 PZ and been trying take night sky moon shots using the night scenery mode and and iA mode but the shutter does not respond. It's like the lighting conditions are to low. On pressing the shutter release i get an aperature reading of 3.5 @ 1/8 secs and the the green focus dot on the upper right part of the screen flashes on and off. I've had this camera for just under a year but don't use it much and still lots to learn and any positive advise would be appriciated

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It may be that it doesn't lock focus. Try setting in MF, and then using the magnify function to set the focus.

3. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Flash green dot => can't acquire focus.

Like Cruzan80 said, MF will work. Also if there is a bright patch somewhere placing the smallest AF box on it usually works as well.

4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Additionally, when you power on the camera, the lens is set at infinity. If you then set it to MF without touching the shutter button it will stay focused at infinity.

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's actually set at hyperfocal, which is different than infinity.

6. Gepito

Gepito New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like im on the right path once setting to manual focus. Now need to get the aperature to stay at its widest and see if i can get to grips with seting manual shutter speed (if possible). Bottom line is that i've got some reading to do....not something i was used to with point and shoot.

7. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    That could be true, I have only tested it by examining a faraway object in my shot. However, the hyperfocal distance is different depending on aperture used, so there is not only one hyperfocal distance. If the hyperfocal distance set on the lens at power-up is based on the widest aperture, and then the shot is taken at, say, one stop up, I suppose that infinity focus will be more or less assured. I wonder if there is an easy way to test the actual focused distance.