GX1 newbie : question about adapted lenes

Ivan

New to Mu-43
Hi all,

I'm new to GX1 with LVF2 attached. I would like to buy a voigtlander 35mm f1.4 for this cam but I have some questions in my head.

When I use the X kit lens and switch to manual focus mode. The LVF2 will automatically zoomed when I adjusted the focus lever. How can I achieve this with the voigtlander lenes attached ?

Second question is how can my GX1 determine my apteure setting of the adapted lens? (e.g. If I use a 28mm f2.0 lens and set the apteure value @f4 on the apteure ring with A mode selected on my GX1, the light coming into the sensor before I press the shutter should be the max apteure on the lens, how can the camera get the correct exposure ?)

I hope my English is understandable to all u guys for helping me. Thx very much!

Cheers,
Ivan

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Assuming it functions similarly to the GH2. I think the camera's menu is already set up to do that, so it should happen with the Voightlander. If not, there is a thumb dial on the camera's back, at the top, directly behind the shutter. Push the button in with your thumb.

When using a non-m4/3 lens, the aperture is set manually using the lens' aperture ring.

-Chrome

Ivan

New to Mu-43
Assuming it functions similarly to the GH2. I think the camera's menu is already set up to do that, so it should happen with the Voightlander. If not, there is a thumb dial on the camera's back, at the top, directly behind the shutter. Push the button in with your thumb.

When using a non-m4/3 lens, the aperture is set manually using the lens' aperture ring.

-Chrome

Hi Chrome,

Do u mean if I choose the manual focus mode, the cam will automatically zoom in when I rotate the focus ring on non-m4/3 lens ?

Ivan

BarefootPilgrim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bob
Hi Chrome,

Do u mean if I choose the manual focus mode, the cam will automatically zoom in when I rotate the focus ring on non-m4/3 lens ?

No, it won't do that automatically when you have a non-m4/3 lens mounted. You will have to trigger the magnification manually by pressing the thumbwheel (as Cdrome suggests).

This might sound a bit cumbersome, but it's actually very simple / easy. In fact, I prefer this to the automatic magnification because the auto-magnification doesn't hold the magnified image long enough to suit me (before it automagically returns to the non-magnified image).

When you press the thumbwheel to enlarge the image, it will remain enlarged until you half-press the shutter button. Then it returns to the full-frame image so you can frame your shot correctly.

shnitz

Mu-43 All-Pro
For the zoom-in feature on your screen, you will have to manually do this. The camera will not sense that you are focusing.

For the aperture, you have to adjust the lens on your camera to the desired aperture. Your GX1 will not communicated to an adapted lens in any way. So, for my Nikon 35mm f/2.0 for example, I open my aperture all the way to f/2. I then focus, with as much light coming in as possible. Once I am focused, I turn the lens down to f/4, and the camera will automatically adjust the exposure.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
PS: when you try to shoot with a non-m4/3 lens you will get a "NO LENS" message. You have to go the the CUSTOM menu the icon is "C" + a wrench to turn "No lens" on.

-Chrome

Ivan

New to Mu-43
No, it won't do that automatically when you have a non-m4/3 lens mounted. You will have to trigger the magnification manually by pressing the thumbwheel (as Cdrome suggests).

This might sound a bit cumbersome, but it's actually very simple / easy. In fact, I prefer this to the automatic magnification because the auto-magnification doesn't hold the magnified image long enough to suit me (before it automagically returns to the non-magnified image).

When you press the thumbwheel to enlarge the image, it will remain enlarged until you half-press the shutter button. Then it returns to the full-frame image so you can frame your shot correctly.

Do I need to do some setting on my cam before I can achieve this ? It's seems I'm adjusting the exposure compensation when I push the thumbwheel.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
When you rotate the thumb wheel you adjust exposure compensation. Pushing in until it clicks should magnify the image. You do not have to switch to manual focus mode.

Fred

BarefootPilgrim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bob
Do I need to do some setting on my cam before I can achieve this ? It's seems I'm adjusting the exposure compensation when I push the thumbwheel.

As fredlong says above... press the thumbwheel (not rotate) to magnify the image. And as cdrome notes, you must also set the Custom menu's "SHOOT W/O LENS" setting to "ON" before you mount your lens or you'll see a "NO LENS" message.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You will need to select the option "Shoot without lens" from the menu option, this will then allow you to use a 3rd party lens on the camera and take advantage of the zoom to focus functionality.

Latest threads

Top Bottom