1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Motorcycle Rally

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arnold1896, Sep 30, 2012.

1. arnold1896

arnold1896 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Hi All,

Please help, you advice would be appriciated.

Due to time limitations etc, I have not been able to experiment with lens choices etc.

I will be organising a rally of Classic British Motorcycles (next weekend) in Oxfordshire UK.

I wish to photo them as the exit the rally site mid morning (approx 60 -100 bikes). They will be traveling relatively slow no more that 2-5 mph as they exit.

I have 20mm prime, 14-42x & 45-175x & view finder fitted.

I can best guess what to use but would value expert experiance GX1 user opinions. Other lens would be considered.

Cheers,
    Arnold

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    How close to the bikes will you be able to get? And what's the weather going to be like (how bright)? Without know where you'll be shooting from, it's pretty hard to guess.

Can you get to the site between now and next weekend to scope out shooting positions, and compose with each lens? That should answer your question. If not, take all three and get there early enough to try them out before people start leaving.

3. arnold1896

arnold1896 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Hi Meyerweb,

Weather foresast suggest overcast.

Shooting from a road width, opposite the rally entrance.

Should i use burst mode as they streem out of the site.

Cheers

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Totally depends on what field of view you need. My guess is if you're going to be that close, 14 - 20 will be the right focal length to frame a bike (hopefully, you won't need wider, actually!)

If you will have a chance to do a trial run, I would start with the 20 since it will be overcast - that will give you the best chance to keep the shutter speed up and ISO low.

If you won't have any chance for prep, the 14-42 zoom is the only way to go.

At 2-5 MPH, I doubt you will need burst, but I would for sure be in "M" or "H" burst mode just in case.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for the 14-42 zoom here. First, it'll give you maxium flexibility if you're uncertain about the proper focal length and don't have a lot of time to prepare. Second, you shouldn't need a really fast lens since you'll be working in daylight. Even an overcast day should be bright enough - and may even help matters in terms of exposure. Finally, the 14-42 will give you more depth of field when wide open than the 20mm will give you - very useful for fast focusing with moving targets. Good luck and have fun.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Agree, probably the 14-42, but given how small it is I'd take the 20mm along, too. If it gives you the right FOV, it'll let you use slightly faster shutter speeds and be a bit sharper than the zoom.

From being involved in similar activities (though as a rider, not a photographer), the biggest problem you fact may be that the bikes come through very close together, making it hard to get a shot of each one. Burst mode might help, but you need to keep the bursts short. Otherwise you'll fill up the buffer and face a long delay while it empties, during which you'll miss a number of bikes.

If you use burst mode, stick with M, not H. Assuming the GX works like the GH, in H mode you get a lot of lag on the LCD that makes it hard to track a moving subject.

7. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    You might also want to think about image size and type, what do you want to do with the images, small prints, large posters, commercial or just home viewing? Jpegs are much smaller than raw and how big do you need the image to be. Large raw files are much bigger than say a medium JPEG so your bursts would not be so laggy.

8. arnold1896

arnold1896 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Hi All,

Thank you all for your help,

Rightly or wrongly i purchased an additional lens 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Micro Four Thirds lens.
    Wow am i please with this lens (even on idiot auto mode).

I did not need flash inside for presentation evening.

I few images attached for ref: 121a. 165. 52a. 73a. [​IMG] 721.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Nice photos Arnold.

Do you have any photos of an Ariel Red Hunter? My father had one in 1948, the year I was born. Ariel motorcycles are a very rare sight here in the US.

The new lens looks like a good investment!

Thanks,

BC

10. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Oh dear Arnold - I think you have just given me another excuse to spend some money. btw I see a lot of this sort of stuff myself as I live about a mile from the Haynes Motor Museum and have a connection with the Brooklands Museum..

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nice job, Arnold. Looks like a nice group of blokes and bikes.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely rightly on that choice. :) I was going to suggest sticking with the 20mm f/1.7 out of what you had but the 25mm f/1.4 is without a doubt an even better choice if you could afford it. Your results were fantastic!

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for thepics of classic Brit bikes! Too bad that the British moto industry died. I am an American but I hate the whole Harley cruiser scene. A classic BSA, Norton or Matchless, now those were bikes!

One thing I would have used if I were shooting these bikes as they went by was a tripod with a fluid head{video type}. It allows smooth and consistent panning. I would also shoot in bursts and pic out the best shots later.

14. arnold1896

arnold1896 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Hi All,

Thank you for the great comments.

bcphoto - This rally was for AJS & Matchless bikes and camping only. So sorry no pics of any Ariels.

NickLeon - If you like the look of AJS & Matchless got the owners club site:

AJS and Matchless Owners Club Limited | Home

Haynes Museum looks like a possiblity for a club run out to visit next year.

Ned - Yes, i am so please with this lens, it is the first time since owning a Olympus 5050 with screw on huge wide angle lens that the images have blown me away. Heaven only knows what the quality will be like when i start using raw.
    This image was quite a smal crop but I just love the feeling of the damp early morning following a wet night camping.
    113a.

Speedandstyle - AJS & Matchless were part of the AMC group, at one point the largest manufacture of motorcycles in the world. Sadly the top management aided by the British Government ignore the innovation, investment and market awainess offered by the Japanese etc.

The tripod sounds a good solution but most of these shots were take kneeling down about 1m high. Also the bikes arrivals were intermittent, some grouping and some singular. Will check out the Fluid Head.

Cheers,
    Arnold

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info{although I already knew it}. As I said I am a bit of a Brit bike fan, armchair fan at least{very few here in New Mexico, USA}. The Japanese moto industry almost killed Harley too back in the late 60s-early 70s. They also hurt the Italian and German brands. Of coarse the Japanese are starting to feel the heat from the Koreans and Chinese. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki have had some rough years in their moto business.