GX1 metering modes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RoadTraveler, Aug 19, 2013.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I've searched here, the web, and the manual looking for details on the GX1's metering modes, specifically the "multiple" metering mode. I'm assuming if it was much to brag about Panasonic would have...

I'd like to know how many zones the multi mode uses to calculate exposure. There are exceptions, though I find I often prefer the center-weighted mode, and I wonder if the multi metering is not very "multi" and a bit low-tech by today’s standards?

Anyone have or know where there's an answer?

P.S.

How about the center-weighted mode, is there information about how much center is used to meter, or the percentage the center is “weighed”?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The number/quantities you're seeking won't tell you anything useful. You have to shoot different subjects, in different lighting, in different metering modes to find out what works best in each situation. Experience usually trumps theory.

3. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    True, yet it would be nice to have an idea of the possible potential of the muti-zone metering. Also, I'm interested in knowing how the less than 2-year-old GX1 metering compares to the GX7, which I read this morning has a 1,728-zone multi-pattern sensing system.

My months of GX1 expirece does tell me something, but of course mileage varies and it's nice to hear from others. :smile:

4. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You do realize that there are both hardware and software elements to metering. All the hardware specifications together just add up to a factoid and doesn't determine the metering characteristics.

I've done flickr searches on GX7, found images with difficult lighting, checked the EXIF data for exposure compensation and if the picture was shot as a JPG. From what I've seen, it has very good metering. Certainly better than the GX1, and it looks better than the E-PL5 or E-M5 (all cameras that I have).

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sounds like you just don't know the answer :p

6. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The point I was making is that there is no theoretical way of knowing, because of how the metering is designed. To make properly exposed images (the point of the exercise), empirical knowledge is required.

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

Thought of where I might find the answer while researching something else.

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GX1KBODY?t=specs&support#tabs

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The link shows a 144 zone multi-pattern , but I am not sure that this tells you very much. You do not know how the zones are divided up, or how they are weighted or analyzed. It is like saying that an engine has 8 cylinders, but saying nothing about the fuel system or engine electronics. Hopefully you can find an article that talks about how Panasonic designed their metering system to work. I know that folks raved about Nikon's Matrix metering system when I purchased my D300 in 2008. I ended up shooting CW almost immediately as MM never seemed to read tricky situations the way I expected it to, and as I was more familiar with their CW metering system, I could make any necessary exposure adjustments on the fly. I feel the same way about Olympus' TTL flash system. I know that it works wonders for some, but I actually prefer their Automatic setting and shooting manual. Less confusion, and less second-guessing for me. I know what I want, and too often these systems are not able to deliver it. Having said that, I do not find Olympus' metering system to be problematic for me, and tend to use it for most normal shooting.

Good luck,

--Ken

9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not trying that hard. I like your automotive analogy.

On my GX1s I've used both center-weighted and the 144 zone system extensively. In the past I've often preferred the center-weighted metering as it seems consistent and easy to adjust for, and I was not convinced that the 144 zone multi-zone metering was better. Yet there have been situations where the multi seemed to work better, and I've been using and preferring that method in recent months.

Regardless of the metering system or camera is used, I'm constantly adjusting my exposure up or down from the meter's 'normal' to create the images I want.

• Like Like x 1