GX1. Manual Focus Assist, w/adapted manual lens.

When Using the GX1 with an Oly or Pana mu43 lens, the manual focus assist works when half press the shutter (so it focuses and sets exposure) then if turn the focus ring then the focus assist (the magnified closeup view) pops up. Which is helpfull for if want to change the focus from what was done automatically.

But my question is when using a vintage manual adapted lens (Shoot without lens setting: On) I am not finding anyway to get the manual focus assist to operate.
I suppose maybe it just is not going to work . . . . . or maybe there is something I am missing.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Unfortunately it doesn't kick in automatically. You have to assign a button to the focus assist in the menus (I suspect one will default to zoom in - have you tried pressing a few to see if any act as focus-assist)?

Just checked my G3 (very similar to the GX1) and my back dial punches-in when depressed and the zoom level changes when I rotate the dial using a manual lens.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Dave, my GX1 w/manual lens, gives me focus assist by pushing in the dial on the back.
I don't know if I set that up, or if it is default, but try that.

Just FYI, but I went through the entire owners manual and there is nothing in there about how to manually engage the focus assist.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
On my GX80, I use Manual Focus Assist, by pressing the touch screen focussing rectangle and having Peak ing enabled.

Unfortunately it doesn't kick in automatically. You have to assign a button to the focus assist in the menus (I suspect one will default to zoom in - have you tried pressing a few to see if any act as focus-assist)?

On my GX80, I use Manual Focus Assist, by pressing the touch screen focussing rectangle and having Peak ing enabled.

I have pounded all thru all the settings on my GX1
Can find the "Fn Button Set" where can select from a 6 page list of functions for Fn1 & Fn2 (back buttons) and Fn3 & Fn4 (touchscreen button), and none of them are Manaul Focus Assist.

Not finding anything about "Peaking"

I think the 4-way pad left button did the job on my GX1.

Left of the 4 way buttons (good description bye the way) brings up a menu of the various Auto Focus modes, nothing about manaul focus assist. And didnt find anyway to assign any other function to that button.
That was a good exercize for me to do, since I wasnt too familair with that button.

Last edited:
Dave, my GX1 w/manual lens, gives me focus assist by pushing in the dial on the back.
I don't know if I set that up, or if it is default, but try that.

Just FYI, but I went through the entire owners manual and there is nothing in there about how to manually engage the focus assist.

Ah! THAT is IT!

Yes, When "Shoot Without Lens" setting is ON (which I think is what NEED to do when using manual lens, and use App priority), then the pushing in the dial brings up the manual focus assist (the magnified area of the screen). CAn adjust size and location of the magnified area, could be full screen.
If Shot Without Lens is OFF (using mu43 lens) then pushing in the dial stepps thru the various settings such as appature and exposure compensation.

Thanks Bob!

. . . . . . . . You have to assign a button to the focus assist in the menus . . . . .
Just checked my G3 (very similar to the GX1) and my back dial punches-in when depressed and the zoom level changes when I rotate the dial using a manual lens.
Hum... I wonder if that IS the manual focus assist. Just that the size of the area is adjust to be the full screen.

Last edited:
Hum..... all this time I have been thinking the camera works a certain way with ShootWithoutLens set to On and an other way when it is OFF. Things like the dial push and the left button operate differnt based on that setting. My understanding was That I have to tell the camera whether not it has an auto lens or a manual lens by setting that ShootWithoutLens setting (but have been muttering about why dont they just call it that..).

Now I am coming to understand that, no, those things (dial push, left button) operate different when the camera detects itself if is an auto lens or not.

Thanks for you help, all of you.

To summarize: Now I understand:
- WHen have a manual lens, do need to have ShootWithoutLens: ON, else not much functions. (that I DID know).
But, what I didnt understand was: the camera itself figures out if has a manual lens or not, and the other functions respond accordingly.

- When have a manual lens, to get the manual focus assist (enlarged area of the screen) to operate: press in the thumb dial.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
the camera itself figures out if has a manual lens or not, and the other functions respond accordingly.

To nitpick a little, the camera only detects if there is a "digital" (communicates with the camera) lens. If there isn't then either there is no lens attached or a fully manual (no contacts, no communication) lens is attached, but the camera doesn't know the difference. Only that it isn't talking to anything so programming logic is there "no lens".

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom