GX1 lost on interstate highway

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Before picture:
gf0rDjAl.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last photo expedition with the GX1.
(Old Medora Brick Plant Kilns, Medora Indiana.)

Want to see what happens when loose a GX1 on interstate highway (actually interchange of two interstates)??

Last edited:

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Sidebag on motorcycle opened up and dumped stuff out.
I pulled over and stopped, Walked back and could not find much.
Went ahead, went other way, came back and found some more stuff along the way, but not camera nor anything else in camera bag.
Came back next day, 16 hours later, started looking a lot further back and found more stuff further back than where I though the side bag opened.
And then found a portion of the camera.

Last edited:

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
IOSpKj8l.jpg

About that time a state trooper stopped, and, ah, -a-hem-, er, helped me decide to abandon my search for the memory card.

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Anybody have a GX85 kit for sale?

(I now know better how to operate the latch on sidebag of new-to-me motorcycle.)

Last edited:

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
What a devastating affair!
Hope your other losses weren't too great.
I gather you got moved on :(

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Oh man, that stinks. As a fellow rider (and fan of BMWs), I've got a GX85 that doesn't travel as much as it used to and would love to go on more two-wheeled adventures. PM me if interested.

Nice R 1200 RT by the by...

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
What a devastating affair!
Hope your other losses weren't too great.
I gather you got moved on :(
Also lost odd pair of gloves, rain boots, rain over gloves, misc minor stuff.

As far as camera equip; the GX1 had the kit 14-42mm and had 2 extra batterys. Wasnt carrying the charger nor other lenses, nor remote release cable, nor the LVF.

Yep, have moved on after finding at least something. Was puzzled why could not find anything of the camera since was cement wall on both sides so no place for it to go out of sight. Loosing use of the camera was annoying, but biggest annoyance to me was that I could not find anything of the camera stuff.
The answer was that it was about a mile further back than I thought.

Last edited:

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Heartbreak ?. I suppose you should feel lucky you weren't cited for littering!
nor for being an idiot parking motorcycle on 2 1/2 foot shoulder of interstate exhange up against a cement wall and walking up and down shoulder and stepping out into traffic lanes.
Cop did ask me something about how I thought about doing that, I told him I used to work for county road commission and got used to being close to traffic, and the cop kinda nodded in understanding.

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Look at it this way, at least it wasn't a G9 or a Panasonic 150-400mm.
Yah, I am kinda cheap guy. Was a used GX1 I got in 2019 from ebay estate sale for approx $130 including charger, extra battery and 14-42mm kit lens.
Am having to resist just getting another GX1, but is opportunity to upgrade.

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh man, that stinks. As a fellow rider (and fan of BMWs), I've got a GX85 that doesn't travel as much as it used to and would love to go on more two-wheeled adventures. PM me if interested.

Nice R 1200 RT by the by...
Will message about the GX85. THanks.

I just got the 1200RT the prior week, after the 1150RT had an other catastrophic failure - - a g a i n - -
more of that story here (with lots of pics)
https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/93931-rt-now-home-in-west-michigan/

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bad luck.

I seem to recall those bags had some sort of strap to keep them somewhat closed should they pop open. Don't remember that on my RT, but the KGT I had was hard to open as BMW did some strap internal thing where you had to push really hard on the release and hope the strap to the internal latches moved enough so it would open, or you'd get locked out and have to fight with the hinges.

My R1100T was a good one for long camping trips with the lol, but the K1200GT was a problem child for sundry bad idle/stalling issues, and some of them had skipping cam chains due to their lousy hydraulic tensioner design. I had some racing outfit in Rosamond, CA come out with a manual adjuster and they used my K bike as a test bike.

The least issues I had was with the BMW S1000RR which I wish I still had out of all the BMWs I've owned. It was sort of an "M43 camera on steroids" since it was small and lightweight and could maneuver easily against the heavier R and K bikes. It was a hoot to ride and when some kid wanted to race, when I took off my helmet I'd hear them say, "I just got spanked by a grandpa!" Surprised a Reno, NV sheriff too (ahem!) when I snowplowed with it over Truckee Pass in the snow on I-80 (TG for heated riding gear!) into NV wedged in between some truckers who cut a path.

Sadly, my lower back and some broken and cracked teeth from jarring pothole strikes resulted in implants and huge dental bills and that stopped my riding days. No major accidents in some 50 years of riding the things - which I always heard lectures on.

I'd buy a new cam and keep it accessible in a tank bag. Seemed best place for mine - even on the smaller S1000RR.

Keep riding! :th_salute:

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Bad luck.

I seem to recall those bags had some sort of strap to keep them somewhat closed should they pop open. , , , , , ,

1200RT side case has a retracting lanyard to hold the lid at about 90degrees. B ut that broke loose and lid dropped all the way down and dragged on pavement, skuffed a place allmost all the way thru.

BEFORE
SGYL0M2m.jpg

AFTER
7hLlxUmm.jpg

Last edited:

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
If you notice that it looks like all the delivery trucks you see seem to be headed to west Michigan......

I got a GX85 headed my way (thanks again John).

.... and a 14-45mm

.... and a GX85 advance users manual

.... and a pair of BLG10 batterys and wall charger

Latest threads

Top Bottom