GX1 looks and feels Like EPL2 but has 16MP& touch screen ..thats all

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had my hands on a GX1 of a friend and then compared it with my all time fav Olympus EPL2. If u look closely actually GX1 looks as if it is inspired by Olympus EPL2 especially handgrip.It has only slightly better and newer sensor + touch screen. Its not a negative comparison . I love EPL2 so I liked the touch and feel of GX1 as well.
    I will try to compare the performance when I have some time.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, don't forget that the E-PL1 (and hence the E-PL2) took design cues from the GF-1. So really it's more of a merging of the brands, which also happened with the PEN line. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes and thats great for consumers. Its good to see that GX1 is essentially an EPL2 design from Panasonic with full HD video, slightly better sensor , faster AF and touch screen .
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    GX1 might be my next camera. But it will be a while. Still having fun with my newish E-PL2.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the GX1 a lot, but I'd rather wait to see what Olympus will release next.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    can't wait to see what it is. Although my plan to change camera body is still 1.5 years again :mad:
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 3rd gen Pens are great. I'd love to see more improvements to C-AF focus similar to the Nikon 1 and definitely a new sensor. If Olympus can implement those improvements, I can see Olympus doing well into the next year.
  8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Bhupinder, did you notice if the touchscreen was resistive or capacitive?

Panasonic really needs to switch to capacitive screens...
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    The problem with capacitive touch screens is that you can't use them with gloved hands. It may not be a problem for some, but where I live, this time of year my hands are gloved pretty much anytime I'm outside.

So if Panasonic were to put it up for a vote, I'd vote to keep the pressure-sensitive screen

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    They have gloves for capacitive screens nowadays...

For "weather-sealed" cameras I can understand resistive. But having used a resistive vs capacitive touchscreen (GF2 vs EP3), it's not even a close contest. Capacitive is way better.
  11. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Since I own an e-pl2 and am oh so curious, I look forward to any further impression that you can share!

12. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    On the touch screen... It is one of the reasons I bought the GF2, it seemed like such a cool idea. It turns out that I HATE IT. Maybe it is just the way I am wired but I use the buttons all the time.

Almost every time the touch screen activates it is by accident from touching something esle, so from that perspective would rather have one that requires a human finger. (Or the option to disable it entirely)
  13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Don't forget the AF assist lamp for low light. :cool:
  14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Personally I find the GX1 design to be much more hard-edged and utilitarian than the EPL2 (although I'm a big fan of both). Looks great anyway, I'll keep a close eye on the classifieds and probably puck one up as a second body...
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd rather they improved the hard-button controls for glove use. To many tiny buttons. Too many tiny thumbwheels. Touchscreen still seems to be a solution in search of a problem...

16. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Almost sounds like you're in the market for a digital Nikonos IV.

But I hear you .. I'm not fussy on touch screens either. I think the fact of the matter is that a 3" LCD screen doesn't leave much real estate for good-sized tactile controls.
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I had touchscreen on my G2 and never used it, now I have it on my G3 and never use it, so why the heck do they put touchscreens on the cameras I buy?:biggrin:

I agree with you, maybe touchscreen will be better on bigger screens: a camera with a 4" screen:love:
  18. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I feel similarly. Maybe hate is too strong a word, but I use the buttons most of the time and often find I've accidentally moved the focus spot or something, because of the touch screen.

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I rare;y used the touch screens on mt GF2 or G2. I didn't hate them but I didn't find myself using them...that said, given the popularity of devices like the iPhone I can see a whole generation of people that will be expecting a touch screen interface.
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, the big screen is at least half of the problem.

One of the great things about the Olympus XZ-1 is that the most important parameter is controlled by the large ring around the lens. I think something similar could easily be done for the smaller m4/3 bodies. Maybe add two buttons on either side of the lens, and large OK button the back, and you'd be set.

Another pet peeve is the power button next to the shutter release. A switch would make life so much easier...