GX1 & lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Drummer_gal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Drummer_gal

Drummer_gal Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Hi everyone,

For those of you who own GX1s, what do you use your cameras to shoot mainly, and what lenses have you got & and what do you think of them ?

I got one at the end of December, and a struggling a little with certain lenses in certain conditions. Would love your opinions, thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome to the forum! Which lenses do you have, and under which conditions are you having issues with?

• Like Like x 1
  3. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I've been doing a fair amount of closeup/macro work, so I've been using my Panasonic/Leica 45mm quite a lot. Also, the Panasonic/Leica 25mm is great lens for "normal" shooting. Both are a little pricey, however, if you're on a budget. I see you have the 20mm, which is a great little lens for general all purpose shooting. Those are probably the three I use the most.

When I want to do wider angle stuff (for land/seascapes, interiors, etc.), I'll use my 7-14mm zoom - or if I want to carry a smaller package, I'll just go with my 14mm prime.

For portrait work, which I don't do a lot of, I'll use the Olympus 45mm.

I rarely use my 14-45mm as I usually prefer primes lenses. Nor do I use my 45-175mm that much, as I just don't find myself in situations where I need/want to.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The kit power zoom is real nice for family stuff.
    On the street, I use the 20mm. For portraits I use the 20.
    Indoors, the 20 is great.
    I've tried a lot but the 20 responds better then the rest for me.

If ya have to change lenses...Chip has the right formula...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks! :)

I currently own a Lumix G 20mm f/1.7, Lumix 14-42mm, Lumix Gx 45-175 f/4.0.

I love the 20mm when I'm taking portraits and when my subject is still enough. It's usually when I'm trying to take photos of my little nephews & nieces (who do not stay still for even a second) that I really struggle. Also, I'm struggling when taking photos of two people or more - one is always in focus but not the rest (and yes I do adjust the aperture -I'm no expert in using the manual mode, I do know the basics, but obviously still have lots to learn, hence the silly questions & the frustrations!). Maybe the 20mm is not the lens for this situation? Also, why does my 20mm always revert back to f1.7 after every shot ? That's a little frustrating for me as I have to start over again, instead of just making minor adjustments to get my settings right for the shot.

I know I should finish reading that manual to get to know this little camera a little better too - I'll get to it one day! :D

6. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks heaps for that - appreciate it! I will keep all that in mind. :)

7. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks! :) I have heard good things about the power zoom 14-42. Unfortunately mine's not the power zoom. Wonder if it is worth upgrading ?

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Actually the best kit lens is the 1st run Panny 14-45. That lens should be the standard for all kit lenses for all cameras.
    As far as the power zoom goes, it's hit and miss. The one I have is acceptable. It is very compact and focuses very fast. I will only use it for family things or events. For that it will be fine.

Yes, I think it's worth the upgrade....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    I do have one more question if that's ok ... What lens would you suggest if I want to use my GX1 in fairly dim conditions, but with pretty quick AF as well? I love taking photos of live bands and would love to be able to use my GX1 for this. Thanks :):)

10. arier

arier Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    My advice to you, leave the 20mm on your camera, you'll get the hang of it. In time you'll be singing its praises just like everyone else on this forum. The GX1 plus the 20mm is an amazing combination.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks, I shall persevere with it then :)

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The GX1 has a pretty fast auto focus system. But taking photos of kids running around is a tough task for most cameras. There are big DSLR cameras out there that do a wonderful job of tracking subjects. Unfortunately, other than the Nikon 1 system, that tracking technology hasn't trickled down to most mirrorless cameras yet. To me personally, the best way of taking photos of running kids is to pre-focus the camera at a certain spot or distance, and anticipate that the kid will running into that spot or distance from you, and take the photo. There are tons of other factors to consider as well such as shutter speed and aperture.

So speaking of aperture, the aperture controls the depth of field (or focus). When shooting at f1.7, the DOF is shallow enough that sometimes one person will be in focus while the other is out of focus. So the key is to have both people at about the same distance from the camera so that they will both be inside the "in focus" zone. Alternatively, you can increase the aperture to increase the DOF, and therefore ensuring that both persons will be "in focus."

When the camera reverts back to f1.7, I'm assuming that you are taking photos in the "auto" mode? If that's the case, it's a situation where the camera is automatically choosing f1.7, because it's trying to maximize the amount of light that is getting to the digital sensor. If using "auto" in a nicely lit environment (a.k.a. outdoors at 2 p.m. in the afternoon), my bet is that the camera will likely increase the aperture to something more than f1.7.

If you are in the M mode, or the aperture priority mode, the aperture should stay at whatever you set the aperture on.

Hopefully, some others will chime-in about these subjects as I'm no expert either! Let us know if you have more questions. Lots of helpful people around here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    I absolutely love my 14-42X and it's on my camera 99% of the time. The only other lens I use is the 25mm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks, I will try that! :)

I'm pretty sure it was the manual mode .. maybe it's just something I'm doing that makes it revert back. Really appreciate your help .. Thank you! :)

15. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks, I was a little concerned after reading a thread about the 14-42x. :)

16. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use the 25mm Leica lens 99% of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    GX1 kit

I upgraded my GF1 to the GX1 kit in Jan this year, it came with the 14-42X that I have since got rid of as I was not happy with the IQ.

My current lens lineup is: Pany 14-45 lens (original with metal mount and a superb performer), PanaLeica 25mm F1.4 & Pany 45-175X that is not bad but not as good as my old 45-200.

The Gx1 is superb and I do have to admit to using the 25mm most of the time (I swapped my 20mm in as part of the deal and have no regrets) - the 25 is a magic lens that is razor sharp and has a great bokeh, I use it for street, landscape and people shots and it delivers, sample of each below:

Thwaites.

Sky2.

In_the_bucket.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Wow, those do look pretty awesome! Thanks - I will definitely keep that in mind .. & start saving some money!! Lol!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    I agree with Ian, the GX1+25mm is a great combination and suitable for most situations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Manerdie

Manerdie New to Mu-43

May 11, 2012
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie here in the forum, I'm from the philippines
    I would like to ask whiich is the better lens between the 2,
    1- lumix 14-42G X lens power zoom
    2- lumix 14-42G lens manual zoom

I'll be acquiring a used gx-1 and it comes with the x lens, I don't know if should sell the x lens or just use it?