GX1. LCD screen hard to see in sunlight.

Just got a used GX1 a couple weeks ago. (will introduce myself at some point)

Let me describe a problem I had with the camera, and what I did about it.

Hard to see screen outside on overcast day, and near impossible on part sun day and impossible to see on sunny day. Not usable. Can hide in shade and still hard to see the image. Can make out the text and icons some better, but the image is quite hard to see.

I adjusted the brightness and the LCD mode with little to no help. And spent lot of time looking thru all the settings, looking for anything that might effect the brightness of the LCD screen. Even tried adjusting the ISO thinking maybe that might effect the screen brightness also.
I was thinking the LCD screen might have been burnt out.

With BobT's help, I reset all the settings to default. ANd checked the ShutterCount. Found the shutter count was only about 1300, so had not been used that much.

I continued to research about the LCD screen problems. I found some info about "delamination" and "spots" but that didnt seem to be what I was experiencing. And it seemed the resolution was to replace the LCD touch screen.
I did have some blotches on the screen, but didnt think that would effect the brightness.

Was outside one day. Getting annoyed with this problem.
Then noticed that the screen was kinda turning white in the sunlight. Huh!?! Ah!

Maybe the problem was the surface of the screen and the blotches were the worst part. THe screen surface diffusing ambient light. So I started to buff the LCD screen with what was available to me, which was the inside of my sweatshirt. Buffed it for a couple minutes and there was a little improvement.
So went home and got some plastic cleaner (kinda like a buffing compound, use it for motorcycle windshield buffing) and buffed it with a rag for a few minutes with great results. It took off most of the blotches, and could see the image on the screen much better. I buffed it for a couple more minutes and was much better.
Now is usable out in the sunlight.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dave, the other option is the LVF2 viewfinder. Works really well. I'm not real big on using the LCD to compose and shoot with, so the viewfinder stays on there pretty much all the time.
They are getting a little hard to find, but if you keep looking one will turn up.

Edit: Doh!!! Just realized that the OP was from over a year ago....

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Dave, the other option is the LVF2 viewfinder. Works really well. I'm not real big on using the LCD to compose and shoot with, so the viewfinder stays on there pretty much all the time.
They are getting a little hard to find, but if you keep looking one will turn up.

I think he adjusted some things since then and improved it.
Also pretty sure Dave got a LVF2 with the camera....don't know if he tried it yet.

I must admit, I have one and rarely use it.

A lot of people put screen protectors on the LCDs, especially this one due to the noted delamination issues -- I was expecting OP to say he removed the old screen protector and all was good!

Last edited:

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson

So? Slow going site...I use finder all the time...like old rangefinders...or just aim lens in general direction...but newer finder may not be as good as Olympus finders, but on GX it makes it all so easy in sun.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The problem with what the OP did is that he buffed off the anti-reflection surface.
So you don't get the glare from the matt screen, but you then get a lot more reflection.
Just like the similar matt vs smooth reflective screens on laptops.
Each is a compromise on something. There is no free lunch.

Dave, the other option is the LVF2 viewfinder. .
.Edit: Doh!!! Just realized that the OP was from over a year ago....
THanks for bumping this up, it served as a reminder about the LVF2.
I did look for a while. SHould resume that search. (although, even a used one will about double my investment in the camera.)

And bumping this up prompted another usefull postings.

I think he adjusted some things since then and improved it.
Also pretty sure Dave got a LVF2 with the camera....don't know if he tried it yet.

I must admit, I have one and rarely use it.
Buffing out the discoloration/bubbles is what helped the most.

THe first GX1 I bid on had the LVF2. Didnt winn that one.

You mosty use later models with the flip out screens.

The problem with what the OP did is that he buffed off the anti-reflection surface.
Each is a compromise on something. There is no free lunch.
Yes, It is kinda shiny now, and that does present some problems. But was pretty much unusable in most situations before.

Thanks for mentioning that. I did not know about the anti-reflection surface.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom