gx1 keeps select incorrect focus element

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jerrykur, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Hi,

My GX1 seems to select the incorrect element on which to focus even when I place the focus indicator (+) right on the subject. This occurs even when there is quite a bit of contrast on the subject. It is worse when I get close to the mfd of the lens (20, f1.7).

If I switch to manual focus I can get the proper focusing, but I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong with the AF. Any suggestions for settings/techniques to try?

Also, if I should not be having these issues let me know since I an still within the 30 day return period for the camera.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Had similar issue, but I thought it's my PZ 14-42 acting up and it's not so apparent on small picture/big dof.

Will try again tonight with other lens.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    What lens and what focusing method are you using? Can you give a specific example of what you're seeing and what the problem is with missed focus?

I've used the GX1 pretty extensively but never had any issues with it missing focus that weren't operator error (or related to AF tracking misses).

4. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am using a 20 f1.7. I am not sure what you mean by focusing method, but what I am doing is selecting a focus point on the LCD and it shows the rectangles around the point I selected and a"+" in the center. When I 1/2 press the shutter it does not pick any of the rectangles around the point. Rather it selects another point, or no point.

This only happens when I am close to the minimum focusing distance (MFD) of the lens. However, I am beyond the MFD because I can switch to manually focusing and focus on the subject. If I take a step back the lens will focus where I expected, but of course that messes up the composition.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or if there are some settings I should try. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Jerry

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There are multiple focusing methods on the GX1 - center point AF, multi-area, tracking, pinpoint, facial recognition. The touchscreen AF direct just selects an area of the scene for the AF engine; from there it will select something to focus on based on contrast detection, and not necessarily where the crosshairs meet. If you're right up on the minimum focusing distance you may be simply too close for the AF engine to pick up in the selected area and it's focusing beyond the selection instead. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what it sounds like from your description.

You might try using a single focus point and move it around with the arrowpad instead of touch focus and see if that works any better. Or just use a centered AF point and lock focus then recompose. Regardless though, if you're bumping up against the minimum focusing distance you will probably get some squirrelly behavior. That's just a limitation of a given lens and if that's the cause and you can't swap lenses then you either have to manual focus (if you can), or back up and recompose further away and do your best to crop in post.

6. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    agree 100%, sometimes MF will focus closer than AF. Use MF if AF is not reliable at the distance you are working at.
    If you still want AF, use centre focus pount with smallest area, half press to lock focus on the point you want, recompose and shoot.
    If it won't lock AF, you are closer than minimum focus will allow, so use MF to get you a little closer.

7. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Single focus and select your focal point by tapping on screen. Any miss is operator error or due to being too close for the lens mounted to acquire a lock.

8. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    got to love these guys who keep insisting "operator error" ... GX1 and 20mm is not very precise on the focus, let's say it for what it is. this doesn't always happen but it does happen enough for some people to get annoyed.

anyway, there are lots of workaround if you are patient. i enabled the AF+MF so I can adjust the focus manually in times where the AF engine can't pin-point.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    No issues at all with my GX1+25mm, I use centre spot single point for my focussing and have now diasabled touch screen.

I did have a couple of missed focus points with the 20mm though when I first got camera bur no problem with 25mm it is fast and spot on!

10. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Forgive me, Spider, I've been in IT for over 25 years. In that time, with very little exception, most problems ALWAYS are due to operator error.

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    that's great! I've been an IT pro for around 15 years, not as long as you guys but I think it has some merit. I agree, most of the time it is the user. but you have to admit, systems are not built to perfection. otherwise, we won't be in the biz.

imho, this instance it's not just a plain old user error ... so let's agree to disagree on this one, shall we?

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've discovered that problems in the IT world ARE user errors.

Except, of course, when :I: encounter the problem. Then, without a doubt, the blame lies elsewhere.

;-)

13. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the replies. I had already switched to using AF+Manual. That is how I could tell the lens still had some focus adjustment left. I guess this is a restriction I will have to keep in mind when using the lens/body combination. I hate to use just the center point and focus and recompose, and rarely have my subject in the center. I will play around at bit more and see how well the outer points work.

Also, I appreciate the quick feedback. I have a few more days to return the camera for a refund so I need to make a decision quickly.

Jerry