1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX1 indoor WB problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Halaking, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I just got my GX1 from the recent deal, the indoor WB on jpegs are all yellowish color, using color temperature between 2600-2800 turns into blue, I had a chance play with GF3 from friend a year ago, it has same thing, I thought Panasonic already fixed it.

Anyone has this problem, and how you fix it? thanks!!

2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    What kind of lighting is present in the room which you are shooting?

• Like Like x 1
  3. yoshi234

yoshi234 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Indoor WB is always a bit tricky.

I shoot everything raw so WB is tweaked in post but if I were shooting jpeg I'd set the WB indoors using a gray card or even a white piece of paper.

From there it can be further adjusted using the "finely adjusted white balance setting". See towards the bottom at:
    DMC-GX1 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Only cameras I've ever tried which could properly handle that indoor incandescent or fluorescent lighting using Auto White Balance are the new Olympus cameras from the 3rd Generation Pens and newer. Not sure where you heard that Panasonic had that problem fixed.

Other than that, you will have to use either 1) the closest preset (ie, incandescent will usually get rid of that yellow color cast), 2) Reference White Balance off of a white card or grey card (our cameras can use either - some other brands can only use grey), or 3) custom kelvin value... which is easier to do on our Live View cameras than any SLRs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thank you for all the replies!!

I did try to use custom WB use just a white paper, it looks much better, but when I get near or farther to the light source, the color is changing too, it's kind of annoying if I need to set custom WB just few feet away from the last set, I guess I need just shoot raw and work in LR later.