GX1 in India

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have just returned from a trip of a lifetime to visit friends in India (Hyderabad) before they return to the USA, I took both X100 & GX1 but shot more with GX1 & 45-175.

I still have 400 images to process & edit down but thought I would post a few from the city we stayed in to give a flavour, will post some of Taj Mahal and Delhi once edited.

I have to say that the Indian people must rate as some of the least aggresive and friendliest I have ever had the honour of meeting; I tried wherever possible to get into the real India rather than tourist areas and had some great fun and chats with locals who were happy to pose and see the photo afterwards.

A real photographers dream.

Here are 6 tasters:

Bottle_collector.

Fully_loaded.

Pomegranate.

Memories.

The_look.

Washing.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    I love #1 (woman with the bag) & and #4 (man with the glasses)!

Great work!

3. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    These are great technically, composition-wise and a real vote for the GX-1. Thank you for sharing them!

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks for the feedback, I have now added a load more images to my blogsite and they can be viewed here:

571 Photography: March 2012

Hope you like them and too many to post on here.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are a lot of fantastic images on your blog, Ian. Very intimate portraits. :bravo-009:

6. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Looking forward to my trip end of May ... hopefully I will have my OM-D by then.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Big thanks

Amin,

Thank you for taking the time to look at the blog and your feedback is very much appreciated.

I found India to be a stunning country and a total Photographic dream.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Very nice series!

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    4 more

Here are another 4 images from the trip, you are surrounded by incredible colours, sounds and smells that produce information overload for those from a European society.

Incredible - the only word to sum it up!

begging_bowl.

Washing_in_the_stream.

Style.

Orange.

• Like Like x 3
  10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Great street photography, I think. Really love how you manage to combine telling expressions of the people pictured with pleasing compositions in each and every picture, also in your blog.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Easy shooting

Thanks Ad,

Apologies if this sounds arrogant but not intended to.

It is easy to get good photos in India due to the colours and willingness of people to be photographed as well as the mix of individuals.

A real photographers dream come true.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    great photos. Are those straight from the camera ?

13. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Great story telling! So I assume it is fair to say the 45-175 lived up to your expectations?

14. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Ian
    I enjoyed all of your India postings, great colour, comp. it is sad to see people living in such poverty in this day and age. Travelling really points that out in many places but India in particular. I love your work!!

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks all for the feedback.

The images have had the basic editing in PS (Col / Contrast / Levels & USM) and a border added - I only shoot RAW so they do need some editing as well as cropping in some cases.

The 45-175X lens did perform well, but, it is certainly not as sharp as the previous 45-200 I used to own so may consider exchanging it.

Don't know what Panasonic are doing with these "X" lenses but they certainly do not live up to my expectations and are not as good as previous longer lenses - shame as they are not cheap to buy.

16. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry to go off topic, have you used the 14-140 before? How would you compare it to the new lens and the 45-200? I have 20mm and 14-45, the next addition needs to be big, 45-200 was on my short list, but the 14-140 was also intriguing as its like an all in one deal...

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    100-300

Hi Moccaman,

I have not tried the 14-140 but know it is a prime lens and expensive (I understand it was primarily designed as a video lens for the GH1 / 2) but may be mistaken.

I did own the 45-200 and it was a superb lens, a colleague of mine currently has the 100 - 300 that is a really good lens and to my mind, any 1 of these 3 will outperform the 45-175X.

18. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed Hyderabad in the mid 90's. I've heard it has changed a lot since. Any pictures of Charminar and some pearl or precious stone traders?

19. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Didn't know you were here :smile:. I would have loved to meet up with you. I live in Bangalore but was on a vacation for couple of weeks at a place which is close to Hyderabad.

India, indeed is an awesome place for street photography. It can be overwhelming at first, but people are generally very friendly and wouldn't mind posing for you. They are almost always curious as to why you are photographing them and would chat up with you about what you do and such.

Do let me know if you are coming to Bangalore, I wouldn't mind showing you around :smile:.

Ah, Hyderabad can get really really hot in Summer (April-May). It'll easily hit 110+ I guess.

20. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The 45-200 is a great lens and an absolutel bargain. I love mine. I took this shot with it and it perfectly augments the 14-45.

Butterfly2.