GX1 images at high ISO

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Horrible day for photos today, damp, flat, grey low light but good chance to see how GX1+45-175X performs on auto ISO, all images below except the last one were at 1600 and almost wide open, the last one of the street was at 1250 and again almost wide open.
    All things being equal, I am very pleased with the performance and the results and the AF was super fast.

Busy_Park_SFX.

Into_the_distance_SFX.

PauseSFX.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wonderful shots, Ian. You're right that the camera does very well at high ISO, and I like your B&W conversions a lot.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I agree with Amin about your B&W conversions, your technique is what I aspire to. I really, really like No 1 in particular. The camera does great at ISO 1600 and I think should do well at ISO 3200 if used with care.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow, thank you both, that means a lot coming from both of you.

I must get around to trying 3200 but I am certainly very happy with 1600 and have to also say that the 45-175X lens performed very well when almost wide open.

I am still using Nik Silver Efex Pro for my B&W conversions and have yet to find an alternative that fits my needs as well as SFX.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wouldn't bother looking for an alternative if I was you, Ian, because you've obviously mastered it. I'm very much still learning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    With my GX1, I am always using ISO 1600 when I shoot handheld and moving subjects in low light.

There are quite alot of noise, but still bearable.
    I use Adobe Camera Raw for the Noise reduction, setting luminance noise reduction value from around 25 to 40 (or even 50) depending on shots. I find that it gives a very good noise reduction without making the image appears too soft, or affecting overall color tone.
    I combine that with "find edges" mask so that the edges is not affect too much.

Is there any better approach that can be used for the noise reduction on GX1 high ISO?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Lightroom

"Is there any better approach that can be used for the noise reduction on GX1 high ISO?[/QUOTE]"

I only shoot in Raw and intially process in Lightroom3 (got it free with GX1) and I find the sharpening / noise reduction the best around.

I do then use PS for tweaking and borders then convert from 16 bit to 8 bit before saving - works fro me!

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agree with all prior complements. Really like the look of the final images you've shared. Nice work!

James

• Like Like x 1
  9. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I have that program, although often I just use some of the profiles that I have for Lightroom, for conversion. on Nik Silver Efex, what profiles do you like to use most often for conversion?

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex Pro

I have Silver Efex Pro linked in to Photoshop so when I have my images looking as I want, I use SFX for my B&W conversion as I find it to be the best conversion package around and it gives me results that I am happy with - I usually use the High structure setting and tweak that to give me what I want.

11. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Wonderful shots and techniques, I second what said above