1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 images all red?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mzd, Apr 20, 2014.

1. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I know stage lighting can easily "confuse" camera metering, but this is very odd. I was shooting a band with my GX1 & Oly 45mm last night and all of a sudden, the images turned all red. Not just showing the red stage lighting, but more or less only recording red, like monochromatic. All the remaining shots of the night came out this way. I didn't really notice it while I was shooting though as I wasn't reviewing the images much after I shot. I had recently attached the LVF2, all though I can't be sure it exactly coincided with the color problem. Below are two examples of pictures taken right after each other showing the switch. These two guys were standing right next to each other, no more than a foot apart. The lighting should not have varied that much. The first one shows the stage lighting, with a strong megenta light, but there is at least other color data. You can see the wood tones in the guitar and the blue in his pants and the background tie-dye. The remaining 17 images of this group are all red like the one below. I was shooting RAW and there is very, very little data from the other color channels. I can upload the RAW images if anyone wants. When I got home and realized what happened, I did take a few other test shots and they came out fine. Also, I was shooting in manual, but with auto white balance. Very strange....

13951000155_7f607f32f3.

13951464464_ea2056e131.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Can I see the RAW file? That's crazy looking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yoshi234

yoshi234 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2010
    West Hollywood
    I have two GX1's and neither has ever exhibited crazy color like shown. I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at the raw files.

-y

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Pretty sure that's because of stage lighting . Scene looks fine in viewfinder but sensor thinks otherwise I guess. I have seen this many times. Fiddling with colors , hues, etc can help but often it still looks bad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the replies!
    Sorry for the delay in getting the RAW files uploaded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azbjsnnfgt1y5x7/P1030761.RW2 first image
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj2yb9x23862mhc/P1030762.RW2 red image

Usually I am happy with auto white balance. If the camera doesn't get it right, it is easily corrected in RAW. But in lighting conditions where there is a rather extreme artificial color bias, perhaps setting the white balance manually will give me more room to play with in post processing?

6. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    turns out there was enough data for a decent black & white conversion...
    13961256081_7f86d2a84c.
    1030762, on Flickr

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I almost never use auto white balance. Unless it's a professionally lit show, I usually set it manually to coldest possible or try to set it to some white/grey object on stage. Some type of lighting is really bad for photography though. I don't know what the technical explanation is, but RAW or not, the photos are not salvageable in that case in my experience. I am no Photoshop wiz though...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    That was pretty amazing how well red could be recovered while it is typically worst light of all in band shooting. It is just amazing how well current gen m4/3 sensors does in worst scenarios.

• Like Like x 1