1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1: How low can they go/last?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RoadTraveler, Jun 20, 2013.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    The GX1 is my chosen m4/3 tool and my favorite camera in a long while. Not perfect (like limited flash abilities) but overall I've got most of the controls sorted and love using this little camera.

The current price is simply amazing for those who like the camera and/or want an extra body (or two). Any guesses on how much lower the price might go or how long the new supplies will last?

$235 from B&H with free shipping seems so very good! Does anyone think it will make it to $200, or even below?!? I can't really see it at sub-$200, I imagine plenty are selling at the current prices, but I guess it's possible.

Does anyone think under $200 is likely?

Edit: After typing the above I went to Amazon and they have (temporarily?) dropped the price from $250 to $245 if purchased from Roberts LP.

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I see absolutely no reason why it won't eventually go under $200.

3. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Good.

I continue to be tempted at $235 however I was just able to buy one from Amazon for effectively $200 ($250 minus a $50 credit for applying for an Amazon card). So $200 is my new baseline.

4. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The GX1 has definitely gotten down to $200 before on Adorama, sold through Amazon, so there's hope!

5. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I forgot about that already... that was just a few/several weeks ago.

I'll keep watching the prices.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you can wait a while, I'm pretty sure that once the GX2 is available, or even just announced, the GX1 will be well under $200 - if there aren't new ones, then there will certainly be clean used ones for significantly less.

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I surely can wait, I have enough bodies right now, but one more wouldn't hurt :thumbup:. I'll be traveling a lot in the coming weeks, and have a reminder to revisit this the second week in July (if not sooner).

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I still see new GF3s popping up at low prices, so we'll probably be seeing new GX1s a year from now.

Used prices will probably stabilize between $100 and $150 -- MFT bodies don't seem to really drop below that as long as they are working.

9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    All the more reason that these new bodies in the $200 range from a reputable, high-volume retailer are a fantastic deal. I'll happily pay the extra $50 for a new camera. $200, seriously?! :smile:

I hate that everything is disposable these days, but technology marches on. As seen in another thread here, if one is unlucky enough to drop and seriously damage a camera, there is a good chance it will be too expensive to fix. Once totaled, the only practical option will be to buy a new (possibly more expensive) body or use a spare/backup if you have one.

I often have a lens mounted on three bodies in my bag (another GX1 advantage, so compact), so a spare body or two for mere $200-ish is difficult to argue against.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Other than the E-PL1, which can be scored for $75-90 in great shape, and $125-140 with the first gen kit lens. But that's a combination of Oly's lowest end body, and they made a ton of them that have glutted the market.

Before I really knew that much about the differences between the various M43 bodies, I bought a pristine one with a mint OM-50mm f1.8 lens and adapter for $110, and ended up turning around and selling the body for $90 when I realized that what I really wanted was in other M43 cameras not that one.

11. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Roberts has it on ebay for $218 shipped.

12. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

I'm going to get another one before they are all gone. Deal of the century.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. thesanbruno5

thesanbruno5 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Might as well buy another one myself. Probably cheaper than repairs and warranties in the long run. :thumbup:

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yup, I can't help but think the same thing and I already own a few. But I admittedly love the camera, it fits my style, works well, and the build quality and ergonomics are notably better than the other two other Panasonic cameras I briefly owned (IMO).

The known negatives are the cost of an external viewfinder for those that want or need one, and flash use with a viewfinder mounted. Though I use little flash and the Pros far outweigh the Cons for me (even before the current give-away pricing).

15. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

What is the deal with this camera? I know there are rumors that the price has dropped because of the expected release of an update but still? The reviews are stellar. The IQ is amazing. The camera is a shear pleasure to use. Just the right size for all hands. Solid, quality build in an all metal body. Lots of controls. Loaded with features. What the heck is not to like here?

I got mine used for $200 from a guy that had it for about a week and decided to stick with his OMD. I invested in a VF-2 and a Sigma 19mm and I have yet to take a bad picture, all for less than $500! It does everything so well and who really needs IS? I always have a tripod with me now anyway, don't need no stinkin' IS. I get much sharper images without IS. IS introduces "micro-shake blur", this is the sensor shift mechanism "dithering". Take some test shots with a tripod if you don't believe me.

From my perspective, this is just about the perfect camera, especially when you factor in the price. It even looks great.

[​IMG]

16. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I may not 'need' the anti-shake system in the lenses, but I do like that the Panasonic lenses I own have it. I can turn it off as needed. The older Canon lenses I sold did not have stabilization.

We continue to agree and blabber on about what a great little camera this is... You correctly point out the quality, reviews, and crazy price drop even before the announcement or 'solid rumor' of a replacement.

Hopefully, there is a GX2 offered soon and it gives everybody the improvements they want and need in such a camera. Though there is always the possibility that some won't like the GX2 as much as the existing GX1. I think it's very safe to say a GX2 will cost $650–$700 or more for a while. Because the GX1 is such a good fit for me, I'd rather have 3 bodies for my lenses instead of one for the same money. Then spend my real money on the lenses I need and want which should last and be in use as long as I continue to favor the m4/3 system.

Unless there is a major shift in the market and marketing, all of our bodies will become outdated in a couple years (if that matters), but that doesn’t' prevent owners from continuing to use them with good success for a long while.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, it's certainly a fine camera, but it's not the only one. I was going to get one, but then I realized that I really was going to want to use a viewfinder the vast majority of the time, and on those few occasions that I wouldn't, I'd want a screen that articulated on multiple axes. So I ended up getting a G5 instead, for only about $70 more than a GX1 would have cost me, but at least $50 less than a GX1 with an accessory EVF would have cost me. Different cameras for different shooters.

18. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    wish gh2 would get to $350....or 399 with kit lens like the gh1 did a year and a half ago.

19. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

In reply to dougjgreen,

I haven't looked at a G5, so it's hard to judge however, DPreview places it beneath the GX1 and GH3 in quality.

I'm sure it takes equally great pictures as it is basically the same camera internally. It's a bit too "DSLRish" for my tastes. With that copy-cat "rounded" look, it looks too much like a Nikon or Canon entry level DSLR. It must also feel cheaper in the hand due to the mostly plastic body. I'm also sure that in order to offer a higher resolution, articulated screen and built-in VF, Panasonic must have cut down the quality in other areas like the look and feel of the external controls.

I wasn't sold on the additional expense of an external VF until I started using one. The advantages over a built-in are numerous including the ability to make the camera smaller in size to fit into a smaller bag, the ability to change or tilt the VF (thus negating the need for an articulated screen as few people ever shoot over the head anyway), the eyepiece is further from the camera body thus less face grease on the screen, and resale value is solid in most cases. The downside is you can't have an external flash at the same time but, that is rarely an issue since a fast lens usually requires no flash and the GX-1 does have a built-in flash that angles up and it works amazingly well for most cases.

I'll stick the neck out and say the GX-1 is the best value in ANY digital camera body offered today. If you can convince me otherwise, I will pull out the plastic in a heartbeat.

20. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have a GF3 I got for free with a lens, which I've been using as a P&S/street camera. I'm tempted to pick up one of the GX1s and sell the GF3, even if the GF3 is a bit smaller.