GX1 half-shutter peculiarity

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chicaboo, Sep 16, 2012.

1. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hi gang,

Is there a way to pre-focus/expose>recompose with a half-shutter press on the GX1, without using the AEL/AFL lock button? I've gone through the settings and can't find a solution to this typically otherwise standard feature on every other camera.

Cheers.

2. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    A lot of views, but not a clue?

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not sure what you mean - are you talking about using a shutter half-press like an AFL/AEL button? Obviously you can half-press the shutter to lock focus/exposure and recompose before pressing the shutter the rest of the way down; I do that all the time.

4. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Yeah, I do it all the time, too. Then proceed to watch my exposure change as I recompose. :confused: I hope there is a setting to work around this. I'm using AF, and not AFF. Could it be that I am using the spot AF, and not the grid AF, etc?

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    You want to do an Exposure Lock by doing half-press? You can do this but don't release the button as you recompose. Is that what you're looking for?

6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    When you lock exposure, the exposure (pre)view in the EVF/screen does not stay static; it changes with the actua metered scene. So what you're seeing is normal when you move the camera around to recompose. When you look at the actual picture in review, it'll reflect the exposure locked where you set it with the shutter half press and/or AEL. Does that answer your question?

• Like Like x 1
  7. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hmmm, grumble, I wouldn't call that normal, it's the first camera I've had that does this. It's hard to gauge my exposure if the live-view is going to gain up in my EVF/LCD after locking it at the half-shutter press. :frown: AEL does behave normally as I would expect, however.

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I just tested again to see and I take back part of what I said; using AEL does reflect the locked exposure when recomposing, but shutter half-press does not. Sorry for any confusion, I didn't catch that right away since I tend to use the AEL button for locking exposure and shutter half-press for focus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I'm left eye dominant, so the AEL button can be tricky to press for me. But at least being a lefty I can [albeit awkwardly] see what I'm adjusting in my righty without moving my eye away from the EVF. I going to experiment with the focus points and see if this is limited to spot AF, or a global feature.

10. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I just tested it with the different AF points, and the half-shutter press>recompose will maintain my locked AF/AE even though the live-view doesn't reflect it.
    I hope this is something Panny can address in a future firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath... :frown:

11. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i think i found the "issue"

i just tried this using A,S,P mode using all 3 different metering and mostly all AF engines and everytime I press the shutter half-way, it locks the focus & exposure. The live view does not change at all which is interesting ... then I realized that I had my ISO at "800", so I changed it to Auto but it still works as expected.

Alas, when I move it to iISO, I reproduced your "issue". So check your ISO setting to see if it's on "iISO"

12. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Hi rhoy,

Thanks for testing, but I only use auto ISO or set it when I use the flash. I've never used iISO [I didn't even know it was there :tongue:]. But my screen keeps gaining up even with the half-shutter press. :frown: For it not to happen for you, there must be a menu setting, or a combination of settings that I use to cause this to happen?

13. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    bizarre! the only thing i can think of is the "AF/AE Lock" under custom menu. Other than that, I don't know why that's happening. btw, what's your firmware version?

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Just to be clear in case there's any confusion: the exposure is locked with a shutter half-press. However, the *view* of the exposure in the LCD or EVF changes as the scene is recomposed. If you use AEL, the exposure is locked AND the LCD/EVF reflects the locked exposure as the scene is recomposed.

It's an issue of the viewfinder not representing the actual exposure when using shutter half-press versus AEL on a separate button. The actual photo taken does used the locked exposure/focus however.

EDIT: As far as I can recall, my G3 operated the same way so I just assumed this is normal/expected behavior. It does seem like it'd be sensible for shutter half-press to lock the exposure in live view as well, I just never really thought about it much before this thread.

15. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    not sure if you read what I wrote. I just tried it and the viewfinder info did NOT change while the shutter is half-pressed and I am waving the camera all over the place (directly at the tv and at my black couch) :(

16. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    jlo is correct [does it on LCD and EVF]. But this feature is different from every other camera I've owned in this regard. The G3 is a similar beast to the GX1, so I wouldn't surprise me if they act the same way. But if there is no working around it, I will just have to pay more attention to the exposure at the half-shutter press than what I see after recomposing. It just adds another level of thought to the matter I guess...

I have v1.1 firmware, hopefully I can find rhoy's secret setting some day.

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    No I read it, just wasn't sure if we were all on the same page or not, since I can reproduce the same behavior as chicaboo and you can't.

Maybe there is some setting that's related then, but I'm not sure what it could be. I do recall someone else complaining about a very similar issue with the G3 in another thread though.

18. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    if you're up to it, send me the settings you have and I'll compare it with mine. that might be the only way, unfortunately.

* edit: if you haven't tried, can you lock the ISO to something other than Auto?

19. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    funny thing is that I can reproduce both the expected and the non-expected results! :rofl:

20. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Oh, that would be a lot of screenshots to take! :eek: I will do another search for "gain" in the manual and see if they elaborate on it some where.

Yep, I've tried all the ISO variations, EVF on and off the hot-shoe, etc. I didn't want to have to do a factory reset, but I might need to. :frown: