1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Half Leather Case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mijo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I recently ordered and received Panny's half leather case for the GX1, Panasonic DMW-CGK14PP-K - Leather Camera Case - Overview . IMO, it's a pretty good deal since I paid about $100 for the same case for my wife's GF3 from a Hong Kong ebayer (it wasn't offered on Panasonic's website at the time).

I like this GX1 case a lot as it has a removable cover for the touch screen, which the GF3 version lacks. The leather on the GX1 case doesn't feel as nice as the leather used on the GF3 case but it doesn't feel cheap.

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I have this case as well. I think the leather is rather cheap but I wanted to have it for my travels and it's worked quite well. One thing I would add is that the grip increases for my large hands significantly. I've taken it off a couple of times and far prefer the grip with the case on as it adds a nice bolster on the right side grip area.

With the EVF attached I find I don't often remove the screen cover anymore!

3. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I just got the Panny GX1 case noted by Mijo, above. I'd like to be able to get to the back of my GX1 and its buttons even as I use the LVF2, but the case back only unsnaps at the right side as the camera lens faces away from me. It looks as if the left side fasterner is not a snap fastener as on the right but is permanent; i.e., the fastener and its mounting looks different when viewed from the side. Have I got this right or am I simply afraid to firmly unsnap the back at the left. Right now the only way to use the controls with the case on is to unsnap the back at the right side and brush the back aside to the left. Can this possibly be the design or should I be firmer with my unsnapping so I can remove the back altogether when desirable or necessary?

4. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Mohun, your correct in that one side of LCD cover is affixed and doesn't unsnap. I apologize if my "detachable" comment above mislead you, I should have been more specific in my initial post.

5. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks, Mijo.

At least it's not I. This having to hold the flp back off to the left side does not seem so far workable to me. I'm not so sure that I will be able to return the the case to Panasonic but I'll call their customer service. Assuming that you are shooting in aperture priority and relatively frequently adjusting dials and buttons on the back (aperture, ISO, moving the focus point, etc), how do you handle this: open the back each time, hold the flap back at the left with your left hand, and make your adjustments, or open and close the flap back each time you make an adjustment?

I use the LVF2 almost all the time and the AE/AF button for focus (much as I do on my Nikon DSLR), but do expect to adjust the focus point from time to time and I don't think that can be done solely depending on the LVF; I'm sure I must have access to the back.

6. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I'm preparing to send the case back to Panasonic and I'm waiting for the return authorization shipping label. I'll probably have to pay a 15% restocking fee since the case is not faulty but is poorly designed for my specific use and style of using the GX1. I guess it's going to be back to Ebay after a couple of searches on other forums. A really great case is the one crafted by Luigi but those are 180 to 200 Euros, significantly out of my price range.

7. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

I recently purchased the Luigi case, and I'm disappointed in the design. It overlaps some of the control buttons on the back of the camera, and it doesn't fit when the external live viewfinder is attached. An email to Luigi more than a week ago about these issues has gone unanswered. I'm hoping Artisans and Artists will make a half case for the GX1; their half case for the GF1 is excellent.