1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Grip Attachment

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rnagoda, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I was looking at this OM-D grip thread - https://www.mu-43.com/f42/looking-grip-like-42362/ - and getting jealous about the various options and thinking how great some of those might be for my GX1. But, of course, none of the guys making those grips make anything for the GX1.

So - any suggestions? Any 3rd party grips out there worth checking out?

Thanks!

2. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    I would like to see somehting like this too, there was this one for the GF1;

GF1 Grip

Something like this would be great.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Yes - exactly - that'd be great.

4. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    How About an L-Plate?

One possible option to consider might be an L-plate. While not a grip per-se, use of one has improved the handling ergonomics of my GX1 without adding a lot of bulk or mass. There is no adverse fit with the neoprene cases I often use and the bottom plate acts as a stable base in a pinch. Being able snap it on my tripods and monopod (either vertically or horizontally) doesn't hurt either but that's why I got this in the first place. Suffice to say, with this solution I have not missed having a grip at all.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/7984162648/" title="DMC-GX1-Slingp-2 by apbtlvr, on Flickr"> 7984162648_3a928fcf73_b. "1024" height="771" alt="DMC-GX1-Slingp-2"></a>

This may or may not suit you, especially if you strictly handhold. But if your GX1 spends any time mounted on a tripod, an L-plate might be worth considering.

5. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    That definitely looks useful, but - yeah - I'm looking for something for when I'm handholding ... looks like I may be out of luck on this one unless anybody else has some suggestions!

6. maj13

maj13 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2012
    apbtlvr; is that an RRS L-plate? I'm looking for something like this and can't find any other options. Thanks.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I use leather half case- it much improves grip.

8. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I do the same and it definately helps to improve the grip / ergonomics.

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have both the Asashi grip for the GF1 and the HLD-6 for the E-M5. The problem with making something similar for the GX1 is that it already has a more pronounced grip than either of those, which would be much harder to make an add-on grip around. The best bet is probably just using a half-case.

10. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Affirmative.
    I thought Kirk or other 3rd party might offer an L-plate for this camera but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm surprised too, given the GX1's popularity.
    On the other hand, with so many different camera bodies flooding the market each year, it's impossible to accomodate them all. Manufacturing grips or plates could easily turn out to be a losing proposition if they don't sell for a particular camera. RRS has been doing this for a long time however and they are avid photographers as well. That, and customer feedback probably helps to influence which cameras they will support.

If folks using leather 1/2 cases are reporting improved handling ergonomics then I would go that route. Maybe something like a combination of Gariz 1/2 case matched with a Gordy hand strap would do the trick. One thing for certain is that it would sure look nice.