GX1 / GF2~3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bobola, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bobola

bobola New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2012
    I'm just getting into photography for fun..
    My dad was a professional photography back in the days, learn quite a bit from him.

Been playing around with a point and shoot most of the time and want to get something better.
    Was planning to get myself a entrylevel dslr, but found out about m43!!

Been looking at the GF2/3 and the GX1 due to their compact size.

I found :
    GF3 with the 14mm for around $400
    GX1 with the 14-42mm for around $550

Should I jump on the GX1 for $150 more?
    Or get the GF3/2 and save up $$ when I know my stuff better.
    (prehaps a better lens etc.?)

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just sold my GH2 and kept my GF2 because as much as I liked the GH2 (a terrific body and very comfortable) I fond that the compactness of the GF2 when paired up with nice primes was really a better fit for me. I like to have a camera with e all the time and I found myself more and more grabbing the GF2. I think the IQ is excellent and you can find them pretty cheap. I think mine was $200 for the body (new but open box).

The GX1 is a great camera and the IQ is better but the question I cam up against quite a lot was how much better. If you look at the output of a GX1, GH2, E-P3, GF2, GF3, G3 and E-P1 side by side I doubt you'd really see too much difference between them in practical terms. There is a difference between them but to my eyes it is not THAT significant. I would be inclined to find a good used body for cheap, see how you like it and then move up if you think you want to go all in. You can always resell a body and recoup a portion of what you spent (especially with used bodies).
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Right now you can pick up a GX1 with the kit lens for $492.95 shipped from amazon: Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1K 16 MP Micro 4/3 Compact System Camera with 3-Inch LCD Touch Screen and 14-42mm Zoom Lens (Black): Camera & Photo

From what I've seen the high ISO images from the GX1 with its updated sensor (same as G3) excels beyond what the GF2/3 provide. Even if your not shooting in super low light this certainly adds a nice bit of flexibility. You can keep your shutter speeds high enough to get a lot more keepers when your starting out (especially with a kit lens). If you ever want to add a viewfinder on, the EVF-2 for the GX1 has much better resolution than the GF2's EVF.

I would highly recommend the GX1 especially at a sub $500 price, it is one of the better deals on the m4/3 market right now!

I came from just using P&S and the iphone and I think the GX1 provides pretty amazing images. I didn't spend a lot of time fiddling with things and rarely do, which allows me to just get out there and shoot. The ease of use factor is very high to me as well. Menus are simple to navigate and you can always hand it to someone and switch to iA mode to make their time easier if you shoot in Aperture/Shutter/Manual modes.
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I think there's a bargain to be had by almost every older m43 body. $100 EPL1s,
    $300 G3s, $200 GF-2s, etc. All represent a good amount of value for the dollar.

The new deals you posted also seem like a great value. Of the two I'd spend the extra for the GX1.

I just picked up a sub $400 GX1 and am pleasantly surprised. It has all the new tech, a great sensor, and feels great in my hand. I think it may be my favorite body to date.

Older gen value has turned out to be one of the things I like most about the m43 system.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I'm also tempted to pickup the GX1 at these lower prices... (but holding off on what the G5 can offer).
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I hear ya there. I've been tempted to go to the OM-D but I really dig the Panasonic layout. I don't feel like with my skills the OM-D would offer a whole lot more performance. I will wait a while until some high ISO performance (hopefully) and DR is gained from the next series of Panny bodies.

The GX1 has gotten so cheap just in the last few months I feel like right now it's one of the best deals out there in m4/3 land.
  7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I didn't think the G3 could be beat for value but I think the GX1 comes real close. Add the fact that the LVF2 has dropped in price as well.

A used GX1 and LVF2 for $500 has become a reality. :smile:
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    GX1 is definitely worth it. high ISO photos look much cleaner. You can see the comparisons on various review sites.
    You don't really need to learn anything about photography. You can just use it as a high quality point and shoot camera and get amazing images.
  9. bobola

bobola New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2012
    Thats good to hear.
    I spend the last few days looking up review video of all those!
    Some of them I dont really understand that much possibly because the review are aim at the crowd who have some experties in camera.
    But I'm here to learn and have fun

Thanks for all the respond and input!!!

Leaning toward the GX1 now!!
    Since I'm from Canada and I'm buying from the states.
    IS $480 from amazon.com
    Even if I get tax and duty fees it would be around $560?
    Is it still a decent deal to pick up the GX1?

Pick up my GX1 !!
    Planning to pick up a 14 or 20 mm pancake alreaddy!
    Thanks guys
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have no hesitation in endorsing the GX1 as I upgraded from my GF1 to GX1 and the difference for me is worth the upgrade.

I did have severe issues with the 14-42X lens as it was soft and produced lower quality images than the original 14-45 I still own so you may want to consider just getting the body or body with another lens so you can get the best from the combination.

Good luck.