GX1: Gariz or Mizar Leather Case or Half Case?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mohun, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I've posted earlier on this forum about my dissatisfaction with the Panny DMWCGK14PP-K case I've purchased on-line from, and am about to return to, Panasonic. The case quality is okay for the price but is non-functional for me since the rear panel is not removable but merely hangs from the back (that is, with the camera lens pointing away from the user, as usual) left side of the back and must be held back with the left hand to grip the camera. Had the back been fully removable, that would have been the simple design and functional solution.

In any event, I'm going through a more complicated than need be (especially compared with the easy on-line purchase) return merchandise process with Panasonic and am likely to have to pay a 15% re-stocking fee as well.

While I've dismissed the excellent "leicatime" Luigi leather cases on a price basis, I'm looking at relatively mid-priced Garis and Mizar cases on Ebay. What is the experience of users here re the quality and functionality of these two brands of leather cases or half cases as used on the GX1?
  2. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    I am looking for a case also.
    Not too impressed with what I have been seeing
  3. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Not used either (using a $20 case from eBay for my gx1) but the fact that the gariz case does not need to be taken off the camera to charge battery or change the sd card makes it more convenient to use.
    Doing this with my case is a pain.
  4. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Which one are you using? How do you like it?
  5. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I have the Mizar. I bought it second hand together with the camera as a package deal. The quality seems very good to me. It does add an extra dimension to the grip so the camera is easier to hold.
    Having to take it off to change the battery is inconvenient. If I was looking for a case like that now, I would seriously consider the ones with cutouts on the bottom that let you do that without taking case off.
  7. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012

On its web site, Mizarlabs advertises its case as follows: "...100% Italian vegetable leather. Leather containing more oil than the others makes it fit tight to the curvy GX1..."

What in the Italian or Asian world is "vegetable leather"?

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I believe vegetable refers to the tanning process used to produce their leather.
  9. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Mizar Case in Hand

Thanks for the tip. My Mizar case arrived today and is a good functional fit for my GX1. I don't think the battery and SD card accessibility is an issue for me. I spent a couple of weeks last September in Rome and Siena with my GF1 (saving a lot of weight over my D700) and a spare battery. I probably don't shoot as many images as I did in my younger days, but, with a 4 Gb SD card installed, I was well-enough equipped to sustain a day's shooting without having to change a battery or a card in the field (it's all cobblestones and marble, it seems, in Italy, and not particularly healthy for lens changes, either) and could easily do so at the end of the day in my hotel, including recharging the used battery.

I expect the GX1 to peform just as well.
  10. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Kazaa case......have to take it off to change battery etc but its 2 press-studs.