1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 external flash settings & lens woes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by josh, Aug 4, 2012.

1. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    JUST got my GX1 in the mail and I love it as an improvement over my GF1 which I never thought I'd replace. I also just got a Metz 36 AF-5 which is a decent flash; however, i'm not much of a flash photographer.

The built in flash on the GX1 allows you to shoot at any aperture, while I can't seem to figure out how to shoot at anything besides 1.7 with the Metz. Nothing in the manual mentions working with an external flash either. I'd like to shoot sharper than a fully open lens with my flash. Anyone know how to achieve this?

And now for the lens woes. I bought the GX1 because recently my photos just haven't been sharp & I was excited that there was finally a successor to the GF1, I tried another lens on the GF1 to see if it was the camera and they were out of focus too. I assume it's because I take that camera everywhere and it's been banged around so much. But now with the new body, the photos are better, but still slightly out of focus, grainy, and highlights seem to glow now and then.

Is it possible there is something wrong with my Panny 20mm? There's no haze, scratches, or build up of any schmutz.

2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Josh,
    With the flash, just set it on the ttl setting and then you can shoot in aperture preferred (A) mode and you can control your aperture setting. You should be able to shoot just the same as with your built in flash with the Metz, but with considerably more power - particularly at longer distances. As I remember, the Metz also will bounce which will give you better results than the built in flash.

As far as the out of focus or glowing effect, check the rear element of your lens and look at the sensor. A fingerprint on the rear element will also cause problems just like on the front.

3. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    thanks guys. the gx1's built in flash actually can be bounced, and from what i can tell so far, works great in a pinch.

the lens and sensor are both clean.

0dBm, thank you for the very clear and thorough advice. The 36 AF-5 is extremely basic, no controls besides on/off. Therefore everything must be controlled in camera, but from what it looks like in your advice, I should be able to work around this.

4. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    updatery

Manual mode is the only way to go with the flash for a longer depth of field, as nice as it would be to use aperture mode, doesn't work.

i've used the 20mm for 2 years now and love it, usually beautiful contrast and sharpness. I'm just going to have to send it to Panasonic for the $95 repair service bc she just ain't what she used to be. glass is clean, but the photos are blurry, noisy, and lack contrast and require way too much PP to pass even for 72 dpi online imagery.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    sorry to derail this thread but I keep reading about the gx1's ability to bounce the flash. for the life of me, I can't seem to do it without holding the flash in an angled position (obviously not ideal). i don't want to force and break the flash but it would be great if someone can direct me to the instruction

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Id also like to know about bouncing the flash? If anyone can help

Also are there any wireless flash options fo GX1 like OLY fl-309r?

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Are you shooting the flash in A mode? Have you tried P mode? The camera should likely stop down on it's own.

In A mode, you are telling the camera what aperture to set, but it only synchs at one shutter speed (likely 1/125 or 1/160 or 1/200 -- not sure on the GX1). Also, do you have ISO on auto or set to a specific number? If you have ISO set to a number, and aperture set, then flash synch is a set number, so you are effectively shooting in manual mode, with the only variable being flash strength. Are you positive you have a metz for m43, and not one for Canon or some such?

Try P mode and see what the camera selects for aperture. It should stop down, depending on the strength of the flash and the distance to the subject. If the flash gives you proper exposure in P mode, then that should mean it's communication TTL. Overall, though, I'm not a flash expert.

On your lens issues -- please post samples. Tough to diagnose anything without examples.