GX1 - Exposure Hold..... Exposure Lock

I don't intent to make Ignorant-Question-Of-The-Day a habit.

Somewhere I had found a setting for "Lock" where could select focus or exposure or both, and I have selected "exposure", so that is why I think it works the way I think it does (weither it does or doesn't).
For sunset, as example, I have been aiming to the horizon off to side a little ways from sun some, hold shutter button half, thinking that sets the exposure, then aim back to include more of the brighter portion of the horizon, then push shutter rest of way. (am doing this in addition to using exposure bracketing)

But the advanced manual PDF talks about holding the Fn2 button and re-aim etcetera. So there is something there I do not understand.
(I understand are default settings of Fn1 & Fn2 and can be assigned to other functions) (I think mine are at default, since I did a reset to default).

What do I need to better understand......?

>>Later Note
In Custom Tools Page2.
I have AF/AE Lock is set to AE. (what I mentioned above)
And AF/AE Lock Hold is set to OFF (ew, had not remembered that)

Fn1 Setting is One Push AE
Fn2 Setting is Preview (with an aperture looking Icon)

I do now have the complete Advance Manual, 250some pages. But still need a better understanding.

Last edited:
More specific questions:

1a) Does the AF/AE Lock setting (exposure, focus or both) apply to the AF/AE back button only? Or does it also apply to the shutter button half push.....?

1b) Are there other settings for the shutter button half push...?

2) What is my confusion about the Fn2 Setting being "Preview" (the default setting) but yet the Fn2 back button does operate as the AF/AE lock...?

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
You made me do it :drinks: - a silver GX1 is coming soon, so I can settle in and remember more answers. It really was the best fit of any :mu43: body I've owned (please don't make me count!).

I think half-press can do just exposure and\or focus while the back button does what front button does not, and rear button can be set to activate with press_release or press_and_hold.

In Custom Tools Page2.
I have AF/AE Lock is set to AE. (what I mentioned above)
And AF/AE Lock Hold is set to OFF (ew, had not remembered that)

Fn1 Setting is One Push AE
Fn2 Setting is Preview (with an aperture looking Icon)

More specific questions:

1a) Does the AF/AE Lock setting (exposure, focus or both) apply to the AF/AE back button only? Or does it also apply to the shutter button half push.....?

1b) Are there other similar settings for the shutter button half push...?

2) What is my confusion about the Fn2 Setting being "Preview" (the default setting) but yet the Fn2 back button does operate as the AF/AE lock...?

I have read and reread the manaul about this... but then again, when I read the manual about something I do have great confidence that I do understand, and what I read doesn't seem to say what I already understand.... so I conclude that isnt going to do me any good to to further study the manaul about something I dont understand har har har
So I also conclude that I should read the manual (advanced manaul) and review it some, but then experimenting and observation should prove more productive.

First thing that need to understand is to make a distinction between "lock" and "hold" when reading or discussing this. DOnt use the terms interchangeably.

Have done such experimenting and observing about this AF/AE hold and the half shutter button. I did this experimenting in a place where was something near and something far, and something brite and something dark. And now I can answer my own questions in detail.

1a) Does the AF/AE Lock setting (exposure, focus or both) apply to the AF/AE back button only?
Yes.
And AF/AE Lock can be set to Exposure or Focus Or Both.
And then (before use the shutter button) when press the Fn button the AEL and/or the AFL indicator appear on screen (AEL on bottom near left, AFL on top near right) with the exposure or focus being held.
And if Lock Hold is ON then can let off of the Fn button and the exposure and/or focus is still held (to release the lock hold, press the Fn button again). If Lock Hold is OFF, then have to hold the Fn button until operate the shutter, if let off the Fn button then the exposure and focus goes back to regular.

Or does it also apply to the shutter button half push.....?
No. The half push sets both the exposure and the focus,
(well, unless have implemented the AE/AF function already).
and half shutter doesn't indicate the AEL nor the AFL indicators.

1b) Are there other similar settings for the shutter button half push...?
No. Not that I know of.

SO, in my situation with AE/AF Lock set to AE (exposure) only: WHen press (and hold) the Fn button, that sets the exposure(but not the focus), can see the AEL icon, can reaim camera to brighter or darker area and can see that the aperture and shutter (and ISO) doesn't change. Then when half press the shutter button can see that it focuses on whatever is in the focus area, can then reaim the camera to something nearer or further and can see that is still focused on same distances as before. Can reframe the scene and press shutter rest of the way and shutter trips immediately.

I havent turned the LOCK HOLD to ON out of concern for leaving it locked for longer than intended.

Seem to me that the Fn2 button operates as AF/AE lock button, before pressing the shutter half, AND after half pressing the shutter button. THe setting for Fn2 is Preview, and I see somewhat what the preview function is in the book, but I dont see the camera doing anything like that.
So that confusion still exist. But that is minor.
I now understand about the AE/AF lock.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom