1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX1 Exposure Comp

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ghas, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Is there a way to disable the exposure comp function connected to the rear dial on a GX1? I find I am always accidentally changing the exposure when all I am trying to do is change the aperture or shutter speed.

2. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    Jorgen
    You should just push the weel and the function changes

3. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    GX1 Wheel

The problem is that every time I turn the wheel it is also pushed. Honestly, even though I really like the camera, I wouldn't buy it again if I knew about this stupid over-sensitive wheel. I have probably ruined 10% of my shots in the 4 weeks that I've had it. Now whenever I set the shutter speed or aperature in S or A mode I have to remember to check the exposure comp setting and it is usually changed about 50% of the time.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sounds like operator technique problem, not an equipment problem. Learn to use the wheel properly and you won't have it. Usually the complaints are the opposite, that its too stiff.

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'll back ghas up on this on this one! The wheel on my GX1 needs a certain force to turn it and it's a fine balance between turning the wheel and pressing the wheel. I've found that I've pressed the wheel by accident on many occasions, especially when trying to go from a wide aperture to a much smaller aperture.

6. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Have patience! :smile: it gets better (turns smoother) after using it some time. You will also develop the feeling for rotating the wheel without pressing it. My GH2 and GX1 were like your GX1 too.

7. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Good to hear that it should loosen up. The problem is caused by it being too stiff as it won't turn unless you press quite hard and that often is hard enough to switch it over to exposure comp. It would have been nice with all the hundreds of settings if they just had one that disabled exp comp, then I could just put it in the Quick Menu when I needed it.

8. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I use to have the same problem with my GF1, just got use to double checking before pressing the shutter after a while got use to the camera and started to happen less. Not had the same problem yet with my G5 but only been out with it once so see what happens.

I think it depends on the size of your fingers and hands, mine are not all that big but I have found that I am pressing buttons and dials on the back of my :43: cameras more when I do not mean to as compared to when using my DSLR.

9. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Exactly, when I use my Canon SLR the rear dial seems so easy to use but then again it only has one function, turning. Used my GX1 in NYC today and the usual problem, changes in exposure comp when I didn't want them. It seem like if I have plenty of time it's not so much of a problem but if I need to fire off a fast shot with a different shutter speed, then the trouble begins. I know this sounds trivial but I have been taking pictures for over 55 years and never had a camera with such a sensitive control dial/switch.